Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2005 sportsman 800efi that no longer has awd in reverse but it works perfectly in both low and high. I completely the diagnostic checks on the guage cluster that show the ohms of resistance going to the gear position sensor check out perfectly in each gear. I unplugged the connection leading to the front diff and the resistance in that falls perfectly within the acceptable limits and the plug coming from the cluster shows 12.3 volts when in low or high awd but when in reverse with the override button depress and all indicators on the gauge indicating that all systems are go I do not have any voltage to the front diff even with the rears spinning at any speed. I cleaned and put liberal amount of dielectric grease on connections for the gear indicator switch, the resistor for the gear indicator switch up by the battery, the connections going into the gauge cluster the lead going to the front diff and all connections going to the handlebar mounted controls. I checked for continuity of power and ground wires from the handlebar mounted controls and the ignition switch and also that power was flowing to each. Checked the four fuses in the front access below the headlight pod and stared at the wiring diagram for hours trying to see if I am missing something. I have not changed the front diff fluid as the machine works properly in forward and only has issues in reverse and I am not getting the voltage required for the system to function. Thanks in advance for any help with what direction to proceed next in completing this repair.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Sounds like you have all electrical checked. Is your reverse override switch working is the only thing you have not mentioned. I would change the fluid anyways. They are very picky about dirty fluid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Guess I forgot to mention that I have replaced the whole switch assembly with a brand new one from Polaris when I first noticed the problem as the on-off switch seemed a little touchy and you had to sometime wiggle it to make the fan come on when the bike was not running but the ignition in the on position which was never a problem on my brothers 04 700efi . The fluid was changed several months ago with genuine Polaris fluid. Would I be wrong in assuming that the fluid should be good if the awd is working just fine in the forward gears? Thank you for your quick response, for the cost I will probably just change the fluid anyway. Also as I stated in my original post there is no electrical current going to the front diff while in awd even with the rear tires freely spinning which is why I would assume that it is an electrical issue and is probably something real simple that I am just overlooking. With my meter hooked up I would sometimes see a brief flash of current while in awd with the override button depressed and the rears spinning but prob less than a second and not enough to trigger the front diff to engage which leads me to think there is a dead short somewhere that I have as of yet been able to locate.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It does sound like an electrical issue. It actually works by completing a ground circuit not adding power. Electrical gremlins suck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hours of stare fixing have yielded a conclusion that it may be gray/orange wire #103 that goes from the override switch to the 16 pin on the speedometer plug that has a connection that is less than desirable as I move it the dash will gain and lose the indicators that the override is working.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts