Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am ordering a ramp online. I settled on a Yutrax tx-104. I found the manual online. In the directions it says to winch atv either manually or electricly into the truck. It said do not drive the atv into the bed of truck in bold lettering. Its rated at 1750 lbs. Is this just a legal liability thing? Do all ramps instructions say to do that?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sounds like a legal sticker. How long is the ramps?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they are 78" x 50" unfolded...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just make sure your truck isn't too high for the length.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, Ive been havinh a heck of a time finding something both long and wide enough. I was looking at a set that was 69". Enough guys here said to go as long as I could. I like the one piece tri fold design. Ill be loading into a 2008 F150 SuperCrew. I will get a trailer but it could be a few months before that happens. Need to work some more Overtime :veryhappy: I hope that will be long enough. Im a noob and have never ramped into a truck. Just into lower trailers.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tailgate upper edge is a little less than 35" off ground....

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I've never seen or heard of anyone winching into the truck bed. Just use low range and go slow. You don't want to bust out the rear window in the cab.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Thats about what I thought. I figured thats only about a 26-27 degree incline. Teah. Id be pretty pissed if I smashed my window. Think I will put a soft barrier up on the window the first few times I do it til I get the hang of it....

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Good idea. I've seen guys use an old Atv or lawn mower tire hanging in front for a bumper. Especially if you have a winch with the roller fairlead that sticks out a bit like mine used to.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My buddy uses an old used quad tire to act as a bumper between the quad and the box. Works great. Just don't buy those two single ramps. I have a set that were given to me and my heart is up in my throat everytime I drive on or off the truck. Soon going to invest in a tri folding ramp. That's what I had before.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
It's likely a legal thing....should be no problem riding it up the ramps into the bed.

Now, let me get on my soap box for a minute. When I was working at the dealership, I was loading and unloading customers machines in and out of their trucks, usually with them standing right there, as many as 50 times a day I bet.

I would never, ever, ever, load or unload a machine without a tie down strap running from one of the rungs on the ramps, to their trailer hitch, pulled tight. As you go in and out, the suspension is compression and releasing, which changes the height of the load. Going down, as the machine leaves the bed, the suspension goes up, it can be enough that the ramps actually slip off of the bed of the truck. Not good.

If you're going up, there is the possibility, that the machine with spit the ramps out as soon as the front wheels get on the tailgate, and the rears on still on the ramp.

If you have a trifold ramp, only one strap is needed. If you have two separate ramps, you need a strap on each ramp.

I am completely positive that had I not done this, I would have had the ramp fall out from under me, a couple of times. After the ramp was strapped down, I crawled up the ramps in low gear, and 4x4 mode, to make sure I did not hit their back glass.

If you load or unload from your truck without a strap securing your ramps to your truck, you ARE playing a form of Russian roulette. Please do not do it.

It takes you 3 seconds to strap down the ramp to the trailer hitch....seriously. And you can use the strap to tie down the machine once its in the bed too!

Okay...hoping off my soap box now.

Working at the shop, I have seen customers who where loading or unloading their own machines at the shop have the ramps come out, going both down and up. I've also seen a customer smash out his own back window with his winch loading his machine in.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mine are always strapped in place. But still gives me the creeps.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Mine are bolted to the box......so I don't worry about them going anywhere.

[/IMG]

Extended they give me a 7 1/2 foot ramp.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Blueline. I am a safety nut so no worries here about not having the straps attached here. Thats a cool set up with that ramp attached. Very nice. I just got my helmet from UPS that I ordered from Thor. Its really nice. Great fit. But I ordered the wrong color....Grrr. My fault. Meant to order the Matte Black and ordered the regular black. Oh well.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Clinebo....that is an awesome set up!

mjrager444....I figured...:)...but you gave me the opportunity to get on my soap box about the subject. One I think a lot of newbies don't even realize how dangerous it is. And if 7 months from now, someone finds this thread though a search, and they start their ramps down...it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I let my buddy use ny trifold ramps to unload his sportsman 400. He didnt use the straps. The ramps fell and broke the plastic cap off the tail gate anx now he has a nice bruise across his chest from the handle bars.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I bought the two separate 90" folding aluminum ramps with arch at Lowes. They were around $160 and work great.

I was looking for trifold ramps but my truck sits up so hight that I really needed some longer ramps and unfortunately they don't make tri-folds that long. Just be careful when using the two separate ramps so they are straight. You could easily put a couple spacer bars in between them to keep them from separating but I never had a problem. I especially like the arch it really helps prevent the steep break over where the ramp meets the bed of the truck or trailer.

The aluminum makes it light and they fold into each other for easy storage.

As far as winching versus driving. Winching is just more stable and easier to control. The bike won't start rolling back down if you let off the gas and it won't roll down out of control if your brakes fail. I just make sure my brakes are working properly and drive them up and down. I always use low gear and take it slow.

Like everyone else has preached no matter what type you use ALWAYS tie the ramp to the vehicle or trailer!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts