Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read here several times about the play in the steering on EPS xp's, I have a new 2013 850 and from the very start it had over a inch of play at the handle bars and is getting worse now with over 700 miles on it, I reported it right away to the dealer and took it to them to repair it. They were going to replace the EPS box and the lower input yoke and Polaris would not honor the repair. At that point I was advise to call customer service and try and convince them to ok the repair, no go. I was told to just ride it for a while and see if the problem gets worse, I then ask if that was the case would they then fix the problem? can't promise was there answer and was told to buy the EXT warranty. I then ask for a meeting with a field rep and was told the dealer would have to set that up, so at this point I am waiting for that to happen.This is a total BS issue and I have no intent of just saying oh well. If the field rep turns down the repair I will then hire a consumer affairs attorney and go that way, I think that Polaris banks on people not doing that and just pushes there weight around. I do have the means and will use this as my last resort. Any input from you guys would be helpful, will keep you posted.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good Luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Since you have the means, please don't back down!! This needs to stop!!

Best of luck, fingers crossed for you!!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Hmmm no play in my non eps steering? I guess i am just old school.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the support! I know not all of these have the problem, a friend of mine has 2 2012 xp's and both are very tight. I am not looking for a fight but to hand this problem to me and think it is ok is not going to work. There is not one person out there if they bought a new car or truck and it had the same problem with play in the steering would accept it. Just because it is a atv should make no difference.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ This.

I would not deal with that issue either. And I am sure over time it will slowly get more slack and feel terrible.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm with you 110%. This is a safety issue and Polaris should care about that. I'm sure once attorneys get involved they will pay attention. It's a shame you should have to take it that far. Good luck to you !!! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My 2011 had a little slop. Polaris fixed it under warranty but came right back.They replaced a steering bushing. It was about a half inch or so. I just lived with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did try a second dealer and there fix was to put JB weld in the lower yoke, no kidding! I have the picture's. There's more to this story then I wrote the first time. Yes this is a safety issue and that is what I tried to explain to Polaris customer service people but they just tell you what they been told to say. One would think anything to do with steering or brakes Polaris would be all over this trying to fix this stuff. This is my second xp 850 the first being a 09 without EPS and it has been a great machine with 7400 miles on it,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on this problem, I was suppose to have a Polaris rep look at my 850 but that never happened. The dealer ask me to bring it to them one more time and said it would get fixed, I was not all that sure he meant that but gave it one more try. I told them that this was it fix it or the war was on, and he knew what I meant. Well I got a call today and was informed that Polaris was going to do what ever it took to fix it, They are starting with the EPS unit first and if that dose not fix it then they will go deeper into the problem. The service manager told me that Polaris acknowledged that they have had these problems, well that is not what I was told the first 2 times I took it to the dealer, Don't get me wrong, I am happy that it will be fixed but no one should have to go through what I did to get this fixed. What a waste of time and money. If anyone else gets the run around from there dealer on a problem that could be called a safety issue don't take no for a answer!!! I have always had good luck with Polaris but after this I am 95% sure there will be no more new Polaris products in my garage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts