Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning!

I`m looking at buying new tires for my 09 Sportsman 500 and I was wondering if someone could tell me what is the largest tire I can put on it with out doing any mods. I would like to gain a bit more clearence but its not that big of a deal since we mostly trail ride with a group unless I`m at deer camp. Then it is into the mud! I really like theses ITP MudLite XTR Radial Tires but cant figure how large of a tire I can use. Right now I`m still running the stock tires with the factory Polaris spoked aluminum wheels. I had them put on when I bought the wheeler in 09. OK thanks for any info you guys can provide.

Hope everyone has a great deer season!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Typically on the 500 you are limited due to the width of the front tire. Anything over 8.5 inches wide will rub the TRE if you don't have spacers or aftermarket offset rims.

You can run 26s without needing a clutch kit as long as they aren't really heavy mud tires.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bgirard420

So you think I will be OK with 26x8-12 on the fronts and 26x11-12 on the rears?

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Thanks Bgirard420

So you think I will be OK with 26x8-12 on the fronts and 26x11-12 on the rears?

Thanks again!!
Should fit just fine. My Spartacus 25x8x12 are 8.5 in wide and just barely clear the TRE with 5-7 psi in them.

I ended up putting in a clutch kit because I like it to perform at its best but I was able to ride fine without it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a set in that size on ebay but I`m going to swing by my Polaris dealer this afternoon to see what his price is on them. I have heard that some times people have found the prices a bit cheaper at the dealer. I`m shocked by that since my dealer is well over priced on plugs and oil but well see!!

I do like these tires!!

Set of 4 ITP Mud Lite XTR 6PLY Radial Tires 26x9x12 26x11x12 ATV UTV Tires | eBay

Where did you pick up the EPI Clutch Kit?

Thanks, again!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
You will be lucky if those tires will fit because they are 9" wide up front. You may need to add a spacer to get them to clear the TRE.

I bought my kit directly from EPI for around $250. It came with new weights, a new helix and both a primary and secondary spring. I ended up changing the red primary it came with to a gold to get my engagement back down closer to stock.

·
Registered
615 Posts
...Where did you pick up the EPI Clutch Kit?

Thanks, again!
You can order them right from EPI, just search their website for the kit that closely matches your desired end result. Another option would be Quad Shop Customs (QSC) clutch kits. There is a member on here who works there and may chime in and be able to help out, I just can't think of his name. The third option would be a Dalton Clutch Kit.

I dont have experience with any of these, just relaying places I've seen that sell clutch kits.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
...Where did you pick up the EPI Clutch Kit?

Thanks, again!
You can order them right from EPI, just search their website for the kit that closely matches your desired end result. Another option would be Quad Shop Customs (QSC) clutch kits. There is a member on here who works there and may chime in and be able to help out, I just can't think of his name. The third option would be a Dalton Clutch Kit.

I dont have experience with any of these, just relaying places I've seen that sell clutch kits.

Good luck
Ridinagain is the member to get in touch with on this site about a QSC kit. Shoot him a PM

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will be lucky if those tires will fit because they are 9" wide up front. You may need to add a spacer to get them to clear the TRE.

I bought my kit directly from EPI for around $250. It came with new weights, a new helix and both a primary and secondary spring. I ended up changing the red primary it came with to a gold to get my engagement back down closer to stock.

Thanks. I realized that after I posted it. It seems ITP doesnt make that tire in 25 X 8-12, just in a 9 at least thats what my Polaris dealer told me on the phone.......Guess I better look at a different set.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've had good luck with my Pitbull Growlers. They are the 25.5 have them on stock rims with no problems. Price wise you may want to check with directtires. Not sure if they carry ITP's. Like Bob said pm Ridinagain, the QSC will make a difference no mater which tires you choose.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you don't want to get a new set of rims or add spacers you can flip your tie rod ends around to the bottom and then you can add a 9" tire on the front. Hope this helps you in your search.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good Morning,
I`m just wondering if any of you have had any experience with the Duro Buffalo ATV Tire? I can get them in 26x11-12 and 26x8-12 and still use my Polaris aluminum wheels with no modifying. They have a nice price and are 6 ply but there isn’t much info out there on them. The reviews on Rocky Mountain ATV are good except for a few posts. There aren’t many tires out there in the 25x8-12 size.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you don't want to get a new set of rims or add spacers you can flip your tie rod ends around to the bottom and then you can add a 9" tire on the front. Hope this helps you in your search.
Just wondering...have you done this before? I'd like to get bigger tires, but like said before they'll rub. So by doing this the tires will clear? And also will flipping the tie rod ends cause any damage or wear parts out faster?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wondering...have you done this before? I'd like to get bigger tires, but like said before they'll rub. So by doing this the tires will clear? And also will flipping the tie rod ends cause any damage or wear parts out faster?

I haven’t tried it yet but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I am kind of worried about adding spacers. It seems to me the farther out you place your tires the more stress you’re putting on the front end components. Putting on bigger tires will results in some added stress but going one size bigger probably won’t hurt. I have read a lot of post about broken frames on the 500 and I wonder if swinging these big mud tires are the issue. I have spent days researching tires and the only ones I can find in a inch bigger is these Duro Buffalos but there is very little info on them on the internet. Might just bite the bullet and order a set anyhow since they will fit the rims I have and they are a bigger tire.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yea I really don't like the idea of spacers either. I'd like to try the tie rod flip but I wish tire companies would just make skinnier tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL! no doubt! I`m really supprised at how little of a selection of tires are out there for orginal factory sizes. If I go with the 9 inch tire I will flip the tie rods and post a picture.

Thanks

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just curious.... Which benefit of "the largest possible tires" are you wanting?

Raising the gear ratio so performance suffers and requires an otherwise unneeded clutch kit?

Loading your wheel bearings to lead to early failure?

Increasing the track width so you get mud all over the place and cant ride on width-restricted trails?

Dealing with tire-rub against various body parts ?

Or... the biggy: Getting better traction?

Now...Which of above do you think is mostly a myth ?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts