Polaris ATV Forum banner

Which tire should I buy?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am beginning to look at new tires for my 07 Sportsman 500 EFI.
It came with stock Carlisle 489 tires
sizes 26x8-12 and 26x11-12
I am not looking to go any larger and I do not want to lose performance because of tire weight. I also do not want to change the clutch.
The fronts are warn down.

I could go cheap and replace just the fronts with a new set of the same. But it appears there are better options if I replace all four. Or there are the Carlisle ACT radial that I could get in the same size.

I have looked at the Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 but I don't think they come in a 26x8-12 size and I have weight concerns with the Bighorns(supposed to weigh less but are still much heavier than the stock carlisle 489). I have also read that I may need spacers if I go with the Bighorn 2? Would I get the same ride height and performance if I go down a tire size with the Bighorn 2? (25x8-12 and 25x10-12)

I am not a heavy user when it comes to my riding. I mainly ride in the fall at hunting camp on some steep logging roads and moderate off roading. I guess I am looking for a decent middle of the road tire. Maybe my best bet is to go back to the stock tire? So many options.. what to do..

Let me know your opinions or experiences with the tires mentioned or other recommendations.

Carlisle 489
Carlisle ACT
Maxxis Bighorn 2

Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
I love the ACT tires that came stock on my 08 500 EFI. They are 9" wide in the front, and 11 in the rear. Absolutely great all around middle of the road tire - they handle great and look good too.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I went with STI Black Diamond ATRs, but could have fit XTR's if I wanted the added weight. the only difference between the two tires is the depth of the lug and since I have yet to be in a situation that required the 1 1/8" lugs I went with the lighter of the two as I was already jumping up 2" in diameter. I couldn't find a single bad review on these tires. and they rated very good in all terrain/conditions. and so far I love them. They go right over stuff that required a lot of effort and maneuvering to get over with my stock tires. now I just half throttle right over them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Black Diamonds do look nice, but I would either have to go with a 9 wide in the front or drop down to the 25x8-12 and 25x10-12. I don't know but I am wondering with the 9 wide in the front if I would need a spacer?

In the end I may end up with the Carlisle ACT
I would get the benefit of a radial and be able to keep the same tire size.

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
You would be just fine with the weight of the Bighorns on your 500. I have no issues at all with my wife's 500 with 26" BH's on it. Originals, not 2.0's. Can't buy a better tire for your atv.

·
Premium Member
10,358 Posts
I voted 2.0's. at 26" u will be saving a total of 6.8lbs of rotational mass and 4 hp over the original bh. that also translates into less ware and tare on the drive train. the only difference between the original bigs and the 2.0's is the 2.0 has 3/8 narrower tread. this is also a bonus as it cleans out better. so if ur going to buy 4 new tires why not spend a little extra and buy the best on the market for ur riding conditions.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I voted 2.0's. at 26" u will be saving a total of 6.8lbs of rotational mass and 4 hp over the original bh. that also translates into less ware and tare on the drive train. the only difference between the original bigs and the 2.0's is the 2.0 has 3/8 narrower tread. this is also a bonus as it cleans out better. so if ur going to buy 4 new tires why not spend a little extra and buy the best on the market for ur riding conditions.
"best on the market" is arguable. When you take into account ride characteristics, traction characteristics, price, weight, riding style, conditions, blah blah blah blah blah. It all becomes arbitrary and personal preference. To each their own. I haven't heard any complaints about the Bighorns/2.0s but nor have I on the black diamonds and the black diamonds cost quite a bit less. if I'm getting the same amount of performance and paying less, wouldn't you think that's the best deal on the market? Not saying it is, but I went the way I did for a reason, and have yet to be disappointed by the tire.

·
Premium Member
10,358 Posts
"best on the market" is arguable. When you take into account ride characteristics, traction characteristics, price, weight, riding style, conditions, blah blah blah blah blah. It all becomes arbitrary and personal preference. To each their own. I haven't heard any complaints about the Bighorns/2.0s but nor have I on the black diamonds and the black diamonds cost quite a bit less. if I'm getting the same amount of performance and paying less, wouldn't you think that's the best deal on the market? Not saying it is, but I went the way I did for a reason, and have yet to be disappointed by the tire.
true but there are more accolades as far as the bigs go then any other tire. pertaining to a general all around tire goes. and as far as the bd go, I ride with a guy that uses them and im not impressed. his bike doesn't hook up like mine, he seems to be always breaking free of the ground and he gets stuck a lot. he runs an inch taller then I do so I don't now what the problem is. but I give the tires a pass cause he is riding a can-am 650, so between the tti and his 4 wheel drive I would say the tires are the lesser of the three.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
true but there are more accolades as far as the bigs go then any other tire. pertaining to a general all around tire goes. and as far as the bd go, I ride with a guy that uses them and im not impressed. his bike doesn't hook up like mine, he seems to be always breaking free of the ground and he gets stuck a lot. he runs an inch taller then I do so I don't now what the problem is. but I give the tires a pass cause he is riding a can-am 650, so between the tti and his 4 wheel drive I would say the tires are the lesser of the three.
The tires need to be matched up to the rider as much as the terrain or the machine they are being used on. If you don't know how to properly apply torque and HP then the Tire won't work to it's best ability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts