Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new but have searched around trying to find some info regarding a question I have about replacing the stock steel wheels on my 16' 450ho with some older wheels I've came across off another Polaris. Only problem is the seller isn't 100% sure exactly what model they came off.. I hate to invest in some wheels and then have to buy spacers and or new studs, etc. Forgive my ignorance.. I'm going to try and post a pic of the wheels I've found... Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The left pic I was told is off of an 08' model Polaris. No clue about pic on the right..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes sir as far as I know. I know they are both 12" but hard to tell the width by pics and neither seller seems to care enough to do any measurements.. if I drove out to view item is there a tell tell way for me to know if wrong fit without having to measure offset? I also read on forums that some requre different lug nuts..? Is this due to it being an aluminum wheel, different stud size, pitch/thread, or what? Rather not change my studs if not necessary. Just thought I could clean up the set on left and then keep original set as backup since going to put new tires on soon anyhow.

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
so you may have to add new lug bolts. definitely going to need conical lug nuts. and 1" spacers in the front.

·
10,595 Posts
You can't replace steel wheels with cast aluminum without changing studs and nuts. Studs have to be longer and nuts have to be conical rather than the flat like those for steel wheels.
You also have to consider offset of different styles of wheels and tire width if you have a strut front suspension like your machine.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
^^^^All of that^^^^
Do you know your 450HO bolt pattern?
It’s 4/156. That’s modern Polaris bolt pattern, I can’t tell what those are. We don’t know what size tires you plan on putting on those potentially wrong wheels! I only see 3 wheels. I feel like your going at this wrong.

·
10,595 Posts
Hmm... I may have overstated that a little Sprotsman. I did some looking and some of the 570 SP machines come with factory cast wheels but use the same studs as on his 450. I guess maybe it depends on the wheel??
He would still need the tapered nuts though even if the original studs would work.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
True but the SP’s are also double a-arm. He’s talking new tires and I’m thinking he’s probably gotta go 4+3. Maybe I’m wrong but those don’t look to be that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys. Will the wheels themselves have a marking on them telling me the offset? Maybe I should just stick with my steel set ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe I wasn't clear on original post.. each pic is from a different seller.. set on left is off an 08 Polaris and pic on right is a different set that comes with some junk tires... That's why you only see 3 wheels. Either way I may just hold off on wheels for now and invest in other accessories until find a set I know will work. Thank you guys for the help..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What size tires do you want to run?
Would like to go 27" . Alot of trails in my area are rutted out and need all ground clearance I can get.. thought about zillas but considering going with the cheap sunf mud set.. just due to the cheap price.. Have considered ocelot and bear claws but afraid bear claws won't have enough lug for mud I ride in...Please tell me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
clearance is a key component in mud. HTRs have a good tread design for going forward in mud.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Keep this in mind. If you want 27” tires and are trying to turn a 450 HO into a mud machine likely you’ll need to re-clutch. Look at ITP Delta Steel wheels for those 27” tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts