Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harbor freight has a 3500lb winch on sale at $109.00 My question is with the KFI bracket dimensionally will it all fit. This will be my first winch install................

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Why doesn't someone ever come up with a "Wench" question...lol

Most winches will bolt to the mount universally, however the winch has to fit in the area allowed. Most likely if your mount is designed for the atv the winch will bolt to it. Just don't go too big, I got a Warn 2500 to fit in my Honda rancher which is was told was impossible but used a warn mount and it just fit in the ATV frame. Glad I went with the 2500 lb as 1500 lbs is pretty light duty. I can't quite see the size of your ATV but 2500 is very typical even for a large ATV. My 850 has a 2500 lb and it works great and you can always use a snatch block to basically double you pulling power or for an off camber pull. Some people say some good things about the harbor freight winches but if I were in the market I would buy another Warn. It just oozed quality compared to the cheaper brands. I ride in the wilderness so I'm not going cheap on a winch. My stock polaris winch has lifted my plow about 1000 times this year and pulled me over several boulders without an issue so pretty impressed but not sure who makes the Polaris winch.

Also, don't let the steel cable scare you off, I tried sythetic on the warn and I hated it!!! Sh!t froze up in the winter and was constantly getting suck on the spool. And don't even get me started on the rope protector. It protects the rope by keeping you from being able to get you rope out of the winch.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I just bought the 500 this past August and haven't had a lot of time to ride it. I actually just got to the 24 hour mark last week. I don't expect to use the winch that much so I tend to go on the cheap side. Here in the western foothills of N.C. it pretty dry overall just a lot of hills for the most part. Most of their winches are on sale through Feb and I may go down to the 2500lb when I go down to buy it. I think my ATV weighs 700lb? Per the owners manual. 3500lb is probably overkill.....
Why doesn't someone ever come up with a "Wench" question...lol

Most winches will bolt to the mount universally, however the winch has to fit in the area allowed. Most likely if your mount is designed for the atv the winch will bolt to it. Just don't go too big, I got a Warn 2500 to fit in my Honda rancher which is was told was impossible but used a warn mount and it just fit in the ATV frame. Glad I went with the 2500 lb as 1500 lbs is pretty light duty. I can't quite see the size of your ATV but 2500 is very typical even for a large ATV. My 850 has a 2500 lb and it works great and you can always use a snatch block to basically double you pulling power or for an off camber pull. Some people say some good things about the harbor freight winches but if I were in the market I would buy another Warn. It just oozed quality compared to the cheaper brands. I ride in the wilderness so I'm not going cheap on a winch. My stock polaris winch has lifted my plow about 1000 times this year and pulled me over several boulders without an issue so pretty impressed but not sure who makes the Polaris winch.

Also, don't let the steel cable scare you off, I tried sythetic on the warn and I hated it!!! Sh!t froze up in the winter and was constantly getting suck on the spool. And don't even get me started on the rope protector. It protects the rope by keeping you from being able to get you rope out of the winch.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Badlands 3000 lb winch, kfi mount doing work. I dont recommend doing a pull like this put the rzr was stuck for 3 hrs

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
It did break a piece on the spool but I was pulling it at 60 to 70 degree angle at first winch is what caused it to break the rzr was stuck in really deep mud 3 fourwheels couldnt pull him out the way the way he went in we had to pull him out straight up but I swapped it out for the 3500lb today no questions asked by harbor frieghtyou can never have to much over kill and yes a snatch block would had been nice lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just put a Badlands 2500 on my 800. The KFI mount bolted up just fine but the holes in the roller fairlead would not match up with the KFI bracket and cannot be drilled (not enough metal behind it). I got the 2500lb for $49 w/wireless remote.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I just put a Badlands 2500 on my 800. The KFI mount bolted up just fine but the holes in the roller fairlead would not match up with the KFI bracket and cannot be drilled (not enough metal behind it). I got the 2500lb for $49 w/wireless remote.
Crap! You can't hardly beat that price with a stick! Wireless remote would be nice.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just bought the 3500lb Badlands at Harbor Freight for $82 out the door after coupon of 25%.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts