Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Riding my '98 explorer 400 2-stroke the other day and all was fine until the motor started to struggle. Turned out the front brakes were locking down. I stayed on the gas hard to get to a trailer out spot. Engine was running when I shut it down and it didn't seem hot. Went and got the trailer and behold the front brakes had released. Tried to crank it up and no go. Pushed onto trailer and hauled home. OK, Charged the battery, Checked for spark and gas. All seems good. But all I get when turning the starter is an occasional pop from the exhaust. Laid plug on frame and observed spark while turning over. Looks good. Compression seems fine. Cleaned up plug(looked fine already). Put plug back in. Put a bit of gas in the intake. No change....... Any Ideas?? (by the way the front brake caliper is rock hard and the brakes are locked again)

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
So starting with the brakes. My guess is the calipers need to be rebuilt or replaced at this point. The piston is probably getting stuck in there and not retracting like it should.

Just to start with the easy stuff. I would do an actually compression check. Get a number. Im not sure what exactly it should be, but im pretty sure it should be above 90, probably closer to 100 or more to be good.

Also get a fresh plug in there. After you pass a compression check, and get a fresh plug, try to start it, with the airfilter on.

Are you using oil injection or premixing your own gas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have a compression tester somewhere from my teenage rebuilder years. I'll check it and get a new plug. The brakes... The lever for the brakes is what is hard. Like it is pumping up but not releasing the pressure from the line. I was going to get it back running before taking on the brakes. gee. I've had very little trouble from this machine up to this point. Bought it new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts