Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2003 700 sportsman. Bought it new and I have had a problem trying to add antifreeze. Being so new I kept adding antifreeze. I checked my oil and found that the antifreeze was going in the oil. I only use this machine for small periods (taking garbage out, plowing driveway etc.) I have changed the oil and antifreeze several times, but I still get the same results, antifreeze in oil. This machine has done this since it was new. It runs great no smoke, no loss of power, just have to change oil often and of course add antifreeze. One thing I have noticed that the radiator cap does not tighten up, feels loose. Would like to fix this problem. From the posts I've read it sounds like a headgasket. I am now retired I have time to look into the problem.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you have a water pump seal leaking into the crank case. Buddy

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just like buddy said ^^. If it would to be a head gasket, white smoke would be coming out of the exhuast.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Agreed..water pump seal. also, even though everything may seem ok...water and antifreeze in your oil reduces it's ability to lubricate so you will eventually do some damage so fix it soon. I had the same issue on my Honda goldwing but I had oil in my antifreeze because the oil pump had more pressure than the cooling system and forced the oil the opposite direction. Had the head gasket on the son's saturn go and the same thing....lots of oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your reply!!!! I will go to the service manual and look to see what kind of job i'll be getting into. Before I tackle this, is it possible to do this water pump seal without removing the engine? I'm very new at working on my 700 sportsman. Your advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 700 but you can typically do a water pump without engine removal. Might have to take some plastics off and such but not sure.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went out to change the oil yesterday, got four inches of snow. The oil came out brown, not good! Looked at a video on how to change water pump seal. Went out to look at the engine just to figure out where to start. The video i watched had everything off the engine and had the cover to the water pump in his hand. I have never done any machanical work on my atv and I'm finding out that i should stick to changing oil and filters. What I need is a how to video or let the pro's do the job. I brought this 2003 700 sportsman in when it was still new and I was told everything on the engine was fine. Still antifreeze was in my oil. Sooo I changed my oil frequently and kept adding more antifreeze needless to say the problem still exists, coolent in the oil. I live in a town where all the service places for atv's have gone out of business. Go figure! Now who do I trust. Called a place yesterday and they told me it would be at least 200.00 for labor to change the water pump seal. I just very perplexed! I don't mind paying the money but, I'm very leary of getting screwed again. I live in Waukegan, Il very close the wisconsin border. You would think there would be a reputable service dept somewhere in my area. Can anyone give me a recommendation to a good service dept

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It can be done in about 2 hours plus parts and coolant. I think book time on it is 3-4 his and that's what a shop will charge no matter how long it takes. Parts are about $75-100 on top of that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for getting so fast! I have ordered the parts for the water pump seal.(seal, o-ring) Should have waited since I'll be taking the atv to a shop. Hopefully they'll accept my parts and do a good job. I'll be going to the shop that gave me an estimate and check them out. Thank you again for your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts