Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems crazy that the 850 SP requires the hand brake to be pulled to start the machine even when in PARK. Does anyone have a mod to override this?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Holy mother!!!..... Dude it´s your bike and you can do whatever you want, but honestly I will never bypass that safety function it´s there for a reason.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you think it is "safer" to start a machine in PARK with the brake on? Do you think it might move in PARK? All of my previous machines did NOT require the brake to start in PARK, only when starting in NEUTRAL, etc did you have to pull the hand brake. Seriously - what is the "reason"?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
fi[I said:
[/I]tsector;1180281]Holy mother!!!..... Dude it´s your bike and you can do whatever you want, but honestly I will never bypass that safety function it´s there for a reason.
Exactly! It's not an inconvenience or annoyance. Just like having to step on the brake to put you vehicle in gear...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, so no reason... Just no big deal to you two.
Maybe they should also require you to turn the headlamps on if it is dark outside?
And maybe have a red light blink at you when you are going too fast.

Or maybe even plaster safety stickers all over the body panels????? :crying

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Maybe they should also require you to turn the headlamps on if it is dark outside?

I run my headlights during the day - a legal requirement to road ride up here. Speeding on the road carries the same penalty whether in a vehicle, or ORV.

The lawyer stickers fell off - disabling safety devices are why the lawyer stickers came to be.

·
Registered
187 Posts
'Tis why I bought a Yamaha;) In all seriousness though, there really is no reason other than lawyers. As for a way to disable it? I got nuthin'...sorry:/

·
Registered
466 Posts
The newest schematic I have is for a 2014 570 but it should be the same for the starter solenoid . The two small wires on the starter solenoid , one should be a brown / white , remove it and tape it up , run a new wire from the solenoid to ground .

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

Hope you find the answer your looking for..... yes, I'd agree, the hand brake in park is a little redundant / overkill. I can see it if in gear.

Relax.... the "Righchus Safety Nazi's" are only looking out for your well being.... Don't let them get to you. As all they want to do is to "protect you from yourself", and maybe harming a tree or bunny too.

First mod I did when I got all my machines home was "safety decal de-badging". And being the 'rebel' that I am I also removed the foot brake for reverse safety mechanism on my 2005! And so far none of my family members have killed themselves or even worse.... shelled out the transmission!!! :wink

·
Registered
404 Posts
Why do you think it is "safer" to start a machine in PARK with the brake on? Do you think it might move in PARK? All of my previous machines did NOT require the brake to start in PARK, only when starting in NEUTRAL, etc did you have to pull the hand brake. Seriously - what is the "reason"?
I´m no expert in mechanics but this are my comments.

- Polaris bikes can start in any shift position by only pulling the hand brake, so for me this is an advantage from any bike that requires to put the transmission in N or P to start. (I personally consider easier to pull the hand brake for a couple of seconds than shifting the transmission lever which is usually hard and tricky to move)

- Since the machine can start in any gear only by pulling the hand brake... if you bypass this you might be in a situation were you start the bike on gear and you can get the bike immediately moving

- Finally, this bikes are always going towards more electronic complex vehicles, so at the end for me its really hard to know exactly were this hand brake signal is going in the BCM programming. affecting this wiring, or signals can create bugs or an unexpected code.

Just my 2 cents, As I said, is your bike, if you want to remove a safety function its ok if it works for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you accomplish this yet ?
Not yet, fitsector raised a good point that if the "safety" switch is overriden it might allow a start in Drive or Reverse. Not sure this matters too much since the throttle wouldn't be depressed and these units really don't GO without throttle!

I sure do prefer my 2007 Polaris SP800 that allows me to start in Park without any brake, or in Neutral/Any Gear only if I hold the hand brake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
pull hand brake to start

I have the 2014 850 XP Browning Edition and only pull brake lever if it is in gear but not park. I'm not sure about neutral, only use ' go fast forward' or reverse! L.OL.!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts