Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2017 450 HO, battery voltage at the battery reads 12.8 v. on my multi meter, yet, when ignition switch is on (before engaging starter), the display shows 11.4 v.

Where is this kind of draw coming from.

I ask this because recently, while riding at 1/4 throttle or so (like going down hill), suddenly the check engine light comes on and the machine bogs and sometimes dies when you give it gas. Stop, shut it off and wait a moment and re-start and the problem seems to go away and might happen again or not. The display shows no codes.

At first I thought bad battery or not charging, but, the display shows 13.6 to 14 volts while riding, and as I said, checking the voltage at the battery in the morning (without using the batt tender) shows the 12.8 volts.

I just noticed this was my first post. I apologize for not introducing myself. I'm part of a lot of forums and I guess I just had a brain fart and thought I had already done an introduction.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Battery terminals good and tight?!?!?!

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Battery is probably bad - fully charged battery is slightly over 13 volts (12.9 for a flooded lead acid and 14.1 for an AGM battery is what the battery manufacturers quote)

Batteries can hold an adequate voltage at rest, but fail under load - remove the surface charge (turn on the lights for a minute and check the voltage) - a good battery will lose voltage slowly when a load is applied and recover fairly quickly (sealed AGM batteries recover more slowly than a conventional vented flooded lead acid batteries)when the load is removed. If the voltage drops below 11 volts when the starter is engaged, the battery needs replaced.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Load test the battery after it has been fully charged!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you determine your issue? Was it the battery?
[/QUOTE

Yes, it was nothing more than a bad battery. replaced it with a new agm and keep it on a tender and now, no problems. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but, I've been on the road between Nm. and Fl. with family issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts