Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both our 2002 Magnum 325's are factory gauge free. :(

The project one we bought Saturday was for sale due 11 year old oil cooler hose blowing with the previous owner. If we get it rebuilt I would like to splice in a T and mount an oil gauge on each one. He heard it knocking and shut it off. After the oil line was repaired it will start and idle just fine (heard it for 3 seconds because I know him to be honest and had talked with the ATV shop that replaced the oil cooler hose before we bought it so I knew it needed a major rebuild. I took them at their word that it would start knocking and die if shifted into any gear.

Any photos would be appreciated and hardware sources would be appreciated as well. We are new to ATV's and we added the project one because it was used on a local chicken farm (of Kevin Skinner fame) and even the rear shock looks and feels like new so we have a good parts source but we will rebuild the engine. We plan to do it with min expense the first time IF crank looks OK. If we do that and it does not hold we will go back with new moving parts to make it new like. The kids need some real wrenching experience that they can enjoy twice. :)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I installed a gauge on my 500 HO.
Mine runs @5psi at hot idle. You'll need a gauge or at least a sender that peaks at 40.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hatzie did you just cut the oil line running to the oil cooler and insert a T?

The oil pressure really varies between the Magnum 325 and Magnum 500 engines. The 500 at 5500 RPM hot oil pressure per manual is 12 PSI Min and 20 PSI is expected standard.

However our 325 min oil pressure at 6000 RPM is 20 PSI but the standard range is 71-99 PSI per shop manual. 100 PSI of hot oil is the reason the 325 will blow weak oil cooling hoses. If idle PSI goes low in the 325 we loose the lobes on the over head cam shaft.

Sounds like the 500 engine is not so demanding of high oil pressure.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Too close to zero at hot idle. Not sure I like that but not much to be done about it either.
I used a Russell 640700 pressure takeoff banjo bolt on the oil pump outlet. And. Autometer Autogauge 1.5" gauges. It sounds like the 0-100 psi sender will work for you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hatzie all I have is a picture of the 2002 500 engine that has the external oil reservoir so I not sure where you are tapping in to get your PSI reading but will try to find a picture of your new 500 HO set up. The 2002 500 must have 12 PSI at idle per Polaris. Have you talked to your shop about the 5 PSI reading?

I hate engines without gauges like our two old Magnum 325's. I was told by one shop owner the one way valve in the old 500's could be an issue if they got dirty but again yours is new.

After I learned the cam issues from low PSI it got my attention. The breaking oil hoses on the 325/330 engines for sure has my attention.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
hatzie all I have is a picture of the 2002 500 engine that has the external oil reservoir so I not sure where you are tapping in to get your PSI reading but will try to find a picture of your new 500 HO set up. The 2002 500 must have 12 PSI at idle per Polaris. Have you talked to your shop about the 5 PSI reading?

I hate engines without gauges like our two old Magnum 325's. I was told by one shop owner the one way valve in the old 500's could be an issue if they got dirty but again yours is new.

After I learned the cam issues from low PSI it got my attention. The breaking oil hoses on the 325/330 engines for sure has my attention.
Unfortunately it's normal.

Page 3.14 of the '12 service manual. 12psi min at 5500 rpm. Idle is lower. Mine is around 25 at 5500 and 3-5 at idle. That's why I shut it off rather than idle.:D

Follow the link in my signature for pictures of my setup.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oil Pressure send unit location.

hatzie I saw your photo four of five that shows the sending unit I think. By the way your gauge placement look really professional.

Is the location of your sending unit on the return to pump or exit from oil pump side. The bolt head I see closer to the exhaust also a port in the path of oil flow?

2001 Sportsman 500 HO Oil Pressure Readings - Topic
You do have better idle pressure than this guy who lost his cam lobes due to low oil pressure.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-sportsman/27816-infamous-sportsman-500-ho-ticking-now-gone-2.html

hatzie found this when reading about oil pumps and wondered if you ever heard this noise at idle? If so I thought you might like to try it (or others with oil gauges) and see if your idle PSI gets better than 5 PSI.

One person did suggest to set the idle too high to be able to shift into gear and keep slowing it down until you could shift into gear without much gear clashing. You guys with new/new like quads should not have clutch issues that can develop over time making them not fully release at idle speeds.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
It's fall. Oil change time. I tried it on my first one. I'm thinking I may try Rotella T6 5w50.
I'll give the return hose pinch another shot but not idling much is high on my list.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Polaris oil was 0W40 for a while. Not sure what 2W is but it's not an SAE spec. I have one bottle of the Polaris oil.
I think I may try the 5W40 Rotella T6. The Zinc and high quality anti shear additives won't hurt things like cam lobes at all. I have yet to find the rumored T6 5W50 in the wild.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

Looking for zinc? Street Legal up to 1750 PPM. :)

Mobil 1 15W-50 5-Quart: Automotive : Walmart.com

At $5 per quart and zinc level of 1300 PPM I think I will order a couple jugs for local pick up since the reviews indicate not many stores stock it. That is cheaper than I am paying for Rotella T6.

15w50 Mobil 1 (ok down to what temp?) - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Since it is good to run down to around Zero F it means the weight will be a non issue because at Zero the Polaris will be PARKED. :) Any time I want my oil pressure to come up before start up I just pull the plug and spin it up. You can do this by pulling the plug wire and if you stay off the gas it would put min amount on the cylinder wall.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Xplorder is your knock more like a diesel engine knock? Does it sound more in top or bottom end? Our 2002 we bought last May does not knock the best I can tell. The project 2002 that we bought this month (guy blew cooler line and ran it out of oil) did not knock when I let him start it for a 3 sec run but he and the shop that replaced the oil and oil line stated it would start to knock then die if shifted into gear. I will not run that engine until we get a look inside and decide the best approach fix it. Since is a project for the kids we may go with min parts replacement for the experience and if that does not hold we will come back with a new crank, rod, piston, etc when money/time permits. As one with a tool and die training and experience from any years ago I am fine with a diesel like knock but NOT when it is due to loose metal parts that should not be loose. :(

Thank you for more details about the 325 knock because we are new to this engine and now own two 2002 325 engines with one being bought as a project engine or spare parts source since the ATV chassis is MUCH better than ours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts