Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I'm working on my ATV Christmas list. I'm budgeting $1000 to cover tires, heated grips, hand guards, gloves, carb rebuild (more power), CDI, and a battery.

anyone got any suggestions on the best type to get?

07 Polaris Hawkeye 300.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Go big for sure. The stock one seems to be just enough in ideal conditions, so if you ride in the cold or have powered accessories bigger is better.

Polaris has a big one 30 amp hr, stock is 18amp hr
I think many guys on here have used odyssey batteries with great results.
If money was no issue id go for an earthx lithium.

I run the poo 30ah startup is quicker, you WILL need a different batter strap for the larger batterys

Bracket, Battery, 30 AMP PN#5253600 $15ish
Battery, Sealed, 30 AMP PN# 4011224 $105ish

Cant really go wrong with any new larger battery.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Interstate Batteries are pretty good but a little pricey. I use their FAYIX30L cycle-tron plus. Fully sealed & powerful.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I don't think a 30 amp battery will fit the battery box on a 300. Yours is in the middle of the front storage box like my 2008 300 right? If so, won't fit.

I just put an AGM battery in mine. I don't really think brand matters that much. I got mine from O'reilly's. Also got one for my 2006 500 there. Has not been more than a year yet....but so far so good. I went through 2 bikemaster FLA batteries before switching over to the AGM. First one died on its own, second one, I left the key on overnight and it would not take a charge after that. Figured the cost of a battery was not worth being stranded in the woods, so just passed on the warrantee after it died the second time, and shelled out the money out of pocket for the AGM.

Sean

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Thanks. My 400ho is on the fullsize chassis.

I found a few odyssey dealers locally, gonna price them out.

I don't think a 30 amp battery will fit the battery box on a 300. Yours is in the middle of the front storage box like my 2008 300 right? If so, won't fit.

I just put an AGM battery in mine. I don't really think brand matters that much. I got mine from O'reilly's. Also got one for my 2006 500 there. Has not been more than a year yet....but so far so good. I went through 2 bikemaster FLA batteries before switching over to the AGM. First one died on its own, second one, I left the key on overnight and it would not take a charge after that. Figured the cost of a battery was not worth being stranded in the woods, so just passed on the warrantee after it died the second time, and shelled out the money out of pocket for the AGM.

Sean

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, center of the storage compartment on the midsize Hawkeyes. do they make anything with more Amp hours in the same sized battery housing?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well...what I did was bought a new AGM for it, and then figured out it was the same size as the one in my 550. It also had a little more CCAs. So I put it in my 550, and took the AGM from the 550 and put it in my 300.

Point being...that if it is big enough for a 550, it should be big enough for the 300. Probably the same size they used in the mid-sized 400 (455) in 2008-2010.

All that aside, there is an expensive lithium iron battery I was reading about awhile ago. It is smaller and lighter than a lead acid battery. Reviews were mixed. I think the brand started with an "S". Not sure if they had one for the 300 or not.

Sean

EDIT: Shorai is the make.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Don't forget walmart, they have an agm for 38, you must load the acid into the batts gel compartment, pretty ez then seal it up and charge a couple hours. friends have had these for over 4 years in central texas heat. some say they are cheap and no good (never start - beat ya to it!), but i've got bucks left in my pocket and it starts every time. if you spend more, the that pretty much all you've done, spent more. :hmmm:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Don't forget walmart, they have an agm for 38, you must load the acid into the batts gel compartment, pretty ez then seal it up and charge a couple hours. friends have had these for over 4 years in central texas heat. some say they are cheap and no good (never start - beat ya to it!), but i've got bucks left in my pocket and it starts every time. if you spend more, the that pretty much all you've done, spent more. :hmmm:
That sounds like a lead acid battery. AGMs are sealed.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
would like to go with a gel battery with as much power as I can get for the size of battery casing I need. any suggestions, brands to look at, at the very least?

·
Registered
526 Posts
That sounds like a lead acid battery. AGMs are sealed.
AGM batteries are lead acid batteries. We got a AGM from WM ($38 does sound like a FLA (flooded lead acid battery) I agree) but it was close to $80.

We had to add the acid and leave it UNSEALED while we charged it the first time per instructions (gases a lot) then we sealed it.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
don't want to have to do anything with Acids if I can avoid it, and from what I hear they last longer for off road rough environments at least that's what I heard when I was wheeling my truck 10+ yrs ago.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Thats odd, I could swear my 'stuctions said seal it then charge 2-3 hrs. In any case i did it in that order and it works great. Someone asked why gel? I think its because they tend to leak less on machines that don't exactly stay in a stable position (meaning they travel on steep inclines) or for those that like to float them like a boat! I know its a 'cheap' battery but in central texas you cannot get ANY battery to last more than 3 years regardless of price, type, size or whether you keep it on a charger or not. Heat just kills batterys and I mean all types, auto included. So spending lots gets you little here, take it from 40+ yrs experience with Texas heat and batts. As soon as one of my batts gets to 36 months and it starts to turn the engine over more slowly, its time to replace. One of my friends has the same batt and its lasted him 3 yrs so far but his time is coming up!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I recently bought a AGM battery from Batterymart...its made by Deka what i was told...its been good to me so far..plus it had a higher CCA than others of the same size group....and price was good...71.99 to my door....Plus i believe its a 1 year warranty also....my battery was for a 02 Sporty 500HO...

Big Crank ETX15 Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com

all my wal mart batteries die in a year or two...even on a maintainer...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Last maintenance free (AGM?) YUASA I had in my sportsman lasted 7 years in Texas.

Sean

·
Registered
526 Posts
Maybe it did.

Thats odd, I could swear my 'stuctions said seal it then charge 2-3 hrs. In any case i did it in that order and it works great. Someone asked why gel? I think its because they tend to leak less on machines that don't exactly stay in a stable position (meaning they travel on steep inclines) or for those that like to float them like a boat! I know its a 'cheap' battery but in central texas you cannot get ANY battery to last more than 3 years regardless of price, type, size or whether you keep it on a charger or not. Heat just kills batterys and I mean all types, auto included. So spending lots gets you little here, take it from 40+ yrs experience with Texas heat and batts. As soon as one of my batts gets to 36 months and it starts to turn the engine over more slowly, its time to replace. One of my friends has the same batt and its lasted him 3 yrs so far but his time is coming up!
How to Fill and Charge Yuasa YTX14-BS Motorcycle Battery

This is an example of charging BEFORE the sealing step. I think the initial charging before sealing is to make that battery last longer and not damage the alternator perhaps. If the specific gravity is not correct when the battery is new is a bad thing the old shop guys taught me. They would pull the caps and gas them hard for like 30 minutes or more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts