Polaris ATV Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
9,490 Posts
Ethanol blended fuel is ok if it is all you can get. Not great if you aren't not gonna use is all right away. Shelf life is limited before it starts to do harm to the fuel system. Adding some SeaFoam to it can help. Then when you get done for the day, drain the carb to limit the damage.4 .
Not sure how factual that statement is, the only gas I can get here is Az has a 10% blend. I have been running my 2002 Trail Boss with it for 17 years. Sometimes it sits for 6 months or more before I take it out for a ride again. This Quad has better than 5000 miles or more on it and its still 100% original except for tires and batteries. The carb has never been replaced or overhauled. It will fire up and idle just fine every time. I do buy good gas, like Chevron or Shell and its always the 87 octane but ethanol has not hurt mine at all.n Just my .02 worth :wink
Well there is a difference in fuel quality and Arizona is well known for its arid climate too unlike here in the east where 90% humidity is common. Alcohol loves water and attracts it like a magnet. SeaFoam will NOT help with alcohol. In fact, it actually contains a high percentage of alcohol. I repair machines on a regular basis because of alcohol/water damage.
There appears to be some limited amounts of alcohol-free fuel available in Arizona according to the real gas websites... Here's a link to one.

https://www.buyrealgas.com/Arizona.html

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
There appears to be some limited amounts of alcohol-free fuel available in Arizona according to the real gas websites... Here's a link to one.

Looking at this website for Illinois and Wisconsin isn't encouraging. In IL, I would have to load up and drive all the way to Savanna or Princeton just to get gas. Not seeing anything along the Cheese Trail or BRF in Wisconsin either. It does say that stations can be added if you know of non-ethanol ones.

Damn clean ethanol for Illinois campaign.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well there is a difference in fuel quality and Arizona is well known for its arid climate too unlike here in the east where 90% humidity is common. Alcohol loves water and attracts it like a magnet. SeaFoam will NOT help with alcohol. In fact, it actually contains a high percentage of alcohol. I repair machines on a regular basis because of alcohol/water damage.

You may have a good point there, our relative humidity here is about 8% and my bikes are stored in a well insulated shop. I live 30 miles outside of Tucson in the Sonoran Desert and there are only a handful of gas stations out here and all of them carry the blended gas.:sad

·
9,490 Posts
Here is another website....https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=WI it includes the BRF area and along the Cheese Trail. For IL...https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=IL ,but still nothing convenient for me.
Yeah, I was gonna add that there's other websites. Some are better than others and I think they all depend on someone actually adding a station to the site.
Any marina or boat place should have it real gas too.
If non-alcohol isn't easily available you can use an additive specifically for alcohol to help some.
The best I've found is K-100. I've done my own testing and it will keep the alcohol and the water it attracts in suspension indefinitely from what I can tell. I've had a small jar of 10% plus some added water sitting on the shelf at my shop for over a year and it still hasn't separated. The exact same fuel, if untreated, will separate out into distinct layers in a very short period of time.
A friend of mine who owns a station near me stocks alcohol free premium but doesn't advertise it. He decided to stock real gas for his own use and for his many boating and off-road customers.

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
Not sure what the site say, but I know every station along the Cheese trail and around BRF sells alcohol free fuel.

If you are Sterling/Rock Falls area, you probably need to go through Lena to get to either Monroe or north farther. you can always fill up in Lena on your way through.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Not sure what the site say, but I know every station along the Cheese trail and around BRF sells alcohol free fuel.

If you are Sterling/Rock Falls area, you probably need to go through Lena to get to either Monroe or north farther. you can always fill up in Lena on your way through.
We usually fill once we get to the trails, but I am not sure how many times the Trail Boss will get up there. She will probably ride it around her house near Rock Falls and besides at this point not sure if the Cheese Trail will open back up before it gets cold. Otherwise we would have filled in Gratiot or somewhere.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
I only had to travel about 12 miles in one of three different directions to get non ethanol fuel (Casey's in Heyworth, Leroy and Forsyth). I got wind of Casey's General Store building a new station in our town (which I found odd as we already had one on the east side of town and the new one was to be built on the west side of town in a community of 7200, but we have a large lake nearby). Two Casey's in a town our size? Lincoln has two Casey's (new one built there last year), the population there is 14,000, but neither of their Casey's sells non-ethanol gas.

When I confirmed that Casey's was indeed building a new store, I contacted their corporate headquarters in Iowa and asked if they were going to offer non-ethanol fuel. They told me no decision had been made as to what grades of fuel would be offered. I started a campaign and asked all my friends and customers to contact Casey's and request they offer non ethanol fuel. The store opened last spring and has two pumps with 91 octane non-ethanol gas.

Maybe if enough people petition their local gas station they might get pure gas. We did.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Maybe if enough people petition their local gas station they might get pure gas. We did.
My town has been petitioning to get a new Casey's for quite some time and have one of the oldest Casey's in the county. We only have two types of fuel offered, 87 octane w/ ethanol and diesel. It sounds like Casey's Corp isn't interested in building a new one at this time.

The other station in town has diesel, 87 and 89 both with ethanol. I checked around Sterling / Rock Falls and it appears all have ethanol. At the new Casey's in Rock Falls the clerk thought all gas had ethanol in it and never heard of gas not having it. Haven't checked around Dixon yet.

Anyway if I can get the Trail Boss to the Cheese Trail it doesn't sound like it will be a problem. From what I have been told they do all seem to have non-ethanol gas there. She seems to just want to use it around her house now though and borrow a 4 stroke for the Cheese Trail.

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
I stopped at the Kwik Trip in Monroe yesterday coming back from my son's house and filled up the wife's car. They carried non ethanol 91, E85 and Diesel. Paid $2.419 a gallon......just about the Illinois Gas tax increase less than I could get it in Illinois.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts