Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2500 lb. Electric ATV/Utility Winch with Wireless Remote Control

I know, it is cheap. But my thoughts are that I won't use it all that much. If I get stuck when riding in a group, I have a 30' tow strap rated for 7k lbs, that someone can give me a pull. I am thinking for the once in a blue moon, where I am by myself or angled in such a way that someone can't pull me, I can use this to get me unstuck.

For the record, I don't go deep mussing, nor do I plan to. I am thinking for for trails that get washed out with mud, where maybe I get stuck in a rut that is deeper than I anticipated, and my stock tires are not giving the traction that I need.

I don't see this getting used more than a few times a year... so, is it a waste of money, or would it fit the bill?

Anyone use one? How hard is it to install?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And if you think that it sucks, what's the cheapest decent one that you guys recommend?

I just don't want to spend $500 on something that will rarely get used and will be overkill for what I need.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would not get it... I would get the one with the wired control. Just one less thing to fail. I have a cheap winch on my car trailer and on my girls quad for the same reason. Both 3000lbs from tractor supply. Never gets used but if I do need it I at least have it.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have the 3500# badlands..works great..I have the 2500 on my other machine..it was remote..i ditched the remote..I can see that getting lost fast..I got a thumb controller an installed it...my 2500# is 5 years old an takes a beating...was my plow machine an my work machine around the woods...pulling logs...still works great....but if you get a HF coupon for 20% off the 3500 is a deal.....they go on sale once a month if you look....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see that they have two 3500lbs units. One is $30 more than the other, but I cannot see what the differences are. One is $109 and has a handlebar switch and a corded switch, I will look at that one.

What about a mounting plate? Anything specific for the 570?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
the $30 difference might be the Steel Cable Vs. Syn Rope

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have looked at these winch's too and it appears both 3500 winches have a steel cable. It also appears that the one on sale for less is water resistant while the other isnt. I also cannot figure out why it cost less than the other winch.

on sale 109 is water resistant
3500 lb. Electric ATV/UTV Winch with Automatic Load-Holding Brake

on sale 139 not water resistant?

*I just noticed that the slightly more expensive one has 1.9 hp vs the 1.1 hp on the less expensive one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have looked at these winch's too and it appears both 3500 winches have a steel cable. It also appears that the one on sale for less is water resistant while the other isnt. I also cannot figure out why it cost less than the other winch.

*I just noticed that the slightly more expensive one has 1.9 hp vs the 1.1 hp on the less expensive one.
hmmm very curious too??

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Ahh, didn't catch that... I would rather have the water resistant one, I think.

Anything special to install these, such as a mounting plate?

·
Registered
75 Posts

Ahh, didn't catch that... I would rather have the water resistant one, I think.

Anything special to install these, such as a mounting plate?
I would also choose the water resistant one. I have not installed one, but I am sure you would need a mounting plate. I think if you search the forum there are people who have installed these winches and seem to like them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the polaris 2500lb winch and I had to use it a couple of time in really deep mud where i high centered on rzr ruts and it performed great and wasnt very expensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts