Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought new polaris aluminum rims and tires, wanted to know any tips or tricks on mounting to aluminum rims as I don't want to damage them. I was considering rim protectors when using the tire irons.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I dunno, some guys at those tire stores do more harm than good.
With a lil tire lube, and since you have new tires, they usually mount quite easily.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Getting them on the rim is easy. Getting the beads to seat is the hard pqrt

^^^ True. ^^^

I'm sure we all know the ether starting fluid method. If not...do a quick YouTube search...and you will see what I mean.

IMHO...a tire shop should charge $5 or $7 per tire...well worth it.

Good luck!!

biz
:veryhappy:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I changed out 8 tires on aluminum rims, just took my time and everything went well. The only problem I have is I can't get 2 front tires to bead, tried the ratchet strap but it would not spread the bead out enough and I don't have access to a bead blaster. I saw the video using starting fluid, is this fairly safe? How many have done this? and how much do you use?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you have a compressor or friend with a large one, run a hose with no valve or regulator straight to tire and should be enough to seat the bead, also use good lube on the rim and bead

·
Registered
72 Posts
The only thing I would worry about the starting fluid is that its a aluminum rim. Ive heard stories of people using starting fluid and taking a chunk out of the bead area when it seats. On my tires the guys used a crap load of lube and pulled the core out of the stem. Still had to get them up to around 40-50 psi to seat.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I wipe the tire bead and rim seat with WD-40. Only on rare occasions was it difficult. At that point I would pull the valve core out of the stem and use a pointed tip on my air hose. Crank the hose psi to max and it would finally pop on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts