Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,952 Posts
Makes for a good sales pitch to get people to spend extra money on an SP model. :laugh2:

·
8,739 Posts
I guess only time will tell if the new close ratio AWD is really "better" or not. Theoretically, it should operate smoother and be less prone to cracking the cage since it is supposed to engage faster with very little slippage of the rear wheels before lockup. However, I find it troubling that some of you guys with the new machines are reporting hard steering with AWD turned on. That would seem to indicate that the system may be TOO sensitive or that the rollers are becoming "wedged" as that's NOT the way On Demand AWD is supposed to work. The whole idea is that you can run around with the switch on all the time and you're still in 2WD for easy steering etc. until the rears slip when they loose traction. The front then locks "On Demand" to full 4x4 with all 4 wheels pulling until traction is regained at which time the front automatically disengages and you're back in 2WD again. If everything is working like it is supposed to you never even feel the engagement or disengagement. It may be that the newer front drives just need to be broken in a little and the oil changed often till they wear in some...??
The old style AWD can be "wedged" into full time 4x4 too by backing up on an incline while AWD is engaged (switch on and override pressed) and shifting to a forward gear without letting the pressure off the drive line. All 4's will hold back going down a steep hill but the machine will be danged hard to steer!

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Mine operates perfectly well. There are always going to be certain conditions and circumstances that will "defeat" the design of the system.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I guess only time will tell if the new close ratio AWD is really "better" or not. Theoretically, it should operate smoother and be less prone to cracking the cage since it is supposed to engage faster with very little slippage of the rear wheels before lockup. However, I find it troubling that some of you guys with the new machines are reporting hard steering with AWD turned on. That would seem to indicate that the system may be TOO sensitive or that the rollers are becoming "wedged" as that's NOT the way On Demand AWD is supposed to work. The whole idea is that you can run around with the switch on all the time and you're still in 2WD for easy steering etc. until the rears slip when they loose traction. The front then locks "On Demand" to full 4x4 with all 4 wheels pulling until traction is regained at which time the front automatically disengages and you're back in 2WD again. If everything is working like it is supposed to you never even feel the engagement or disengagement. It may be that the newer front drives just need to be broken in a little and the oil changed often till they wear in some...??
The old style AWD can be "wedged" into full time 4x4 too by backing up on an incline while AWD is engaged (switch on and override pressed) and shifting to a forward gear without letting the pressure off the drive line. All 4's will hold back going down a steep hill but the machine will be danged hard to steer!
the reason the covers are breaking on the newer ones is because they are engaging in 4wd while in 2wd which wasn't really an issue on the older ones unless you were running a lift. now with the quicker engagement, it takes much less of an angle to cause the unwanted engagement with the switch positioned in 2wd and can happen at any time with the wheels turned or the front end off the ground slightly. it is better for those while running in 4wd and expecting to be in a sticky situation but much worse for everyone else.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
the reason the covers are breaking on the newer ones is because they are engaging in 4wd while in 2wd which wasn't really an issue on the older ones unless you were running a lift. now with the quicker engagement, it takes much less of an angle to cause the unwanted engagement with the switch positioned in 2wd and can happen at any time with the wheels turned or the front end off the ground slightly. it is better for those while running in 4wd and expecting to be in a sticky situation but much worse for everyone else.
so, if that's the case, wouldn't it be prudent to run in AWD all the time to prevent the breakage? in reality there really isn't much reason not to run with the switch in AWD. I'm sure someone will come up with a reason not to, but for most of us, it's not going to hurt anything to run in AWD all the time.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts