Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like that it is 1.5 hours from where I live.
But over $600 for a family (2) membership seems really excessive.

Both Mountain Ridge and Rock Run are half as much and appear to have more miles of trails. They are 3 hours from my house though.

I also like that one can ride for a day at either(Rock Run/Mountain Ridge) and apply their daily rate towards an annual membership should they wish to join afterwards.

Tower City does not appear to allow this. Plus, they charge $50 per visit for guests of a member.

Their pricing seems really out of whack. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
234 Posts
They are insane with prices and rules. I knew a fellow that lived up there in a tent camper for 11 years on weekends. He said he only ever missed like 5 weekends in that time.

Which end of the state are you in?

There are lots of places to ride in pa. My closest (RAC) is 1 hour away. Was $125.00 per year. I rode there some but have since found many other places to ride with little or no cost.

·
Registered
455 Posts
? ok I'm a bit confused, why would you pay to go riding?

·
Registered
455 Posts
wow, just went to their web site. That place must be some kind of nice for those prices! I don't get it, is there no public land left there?

·
Registered
234 Posts
When I paid to ride "RAC" I didn't know of any place else.

I pay SSRT $15.00 per year. They have shut down a bunch of the area.

I belong to a club that rides all over the northern part of pa $15.00.

Last year we rode the Allegheny National Forest. I think that was $30.00.

The forest is very nice to see. Nice trails. Little or no play areas.

The state does have a bunch of trail areas that are free.

North of Altoona there is a bunch of free riding as well. Some areas are "anything goes".

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I live in southcentral PA, right above the MD line.
I went to Trevorton a couple times, but grew bored with the hill climbing. I found one trail to ride, but it didn't seem to lead anywhere. I have heard there are tons of free trails around there to ride. But obviously it would be better to be with someone who knows.
Currently I ride at Michaux State Forest. I like the trails although they are a bit rocky. the problem is, my son can only ride the main trail on his 250.
So most times I end up taking him to Rock Run or Mountain Ridge. The thing with that is the 3 hour drive. It is a bit difficult to get a couple hour ride in when having to travel 6 hours.
I like Tower City because it is only 90 minutes away. Yet, the $600+ membership for 2 just seems outrageous. For that price, I expect to have a club house with big screen tvs, open bar, pressure wash station, etc. :D
I put in to join some Trevorton Facebook sites in the hopes of finding some groups for my son and I to ride with.
I did also look at RAC. However, they require my son have a certification from a training center. He has been riding since he was 6 and is on his 4th quad. But I never wasted the time or $$$ to send him to a center so they could show him to to ride around cones in a parking lot.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey EricH,

You can get a safety certificate in about a 3 to 4 hour session. Contact a Polaris dealer and they can tell you who to call for one of these half day sessions. the state as well as RAC accepts these certificates.

You said you run Rock Run. Isn't that $30.00 per day?

Rock Run is above Altoona, if you stay on 99 to Tyrone. Above Tyrone about 20 minutes is great riding and it is free. 2 areas that I know of. One is called Ramey and the other is Houtzdale. They are within about 3 or 4 miles of each other. No rules at Ramey and no admission. I have only ridden Houtzdale 2 times and plan on returning this summer a few times.

Ramey has several poker runs through out the year. I always hit the first and last. Maybe this year I will try and hit another one or two. They are fun. About 25 miles. $15.00 goes to the local fire company.
Houtzdale Fire company also has a poker run I want to ride. I rode some of their trails and they were nice. Water, hills, rock and high banked corners.
Both areas have Mud bogs as well.

We will have to get together this spring and meet up on the trails.

Zoomeroo
Mechanicsburg pa

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Rock Run is like $20 and maybe $15 for my son. But it is an amazing park! I recommend everyone at least go there once.
Yes, it would be great if there was some sort of group ride just to get the hang of things up there.
I did just join the Trevorton FB page hoping to gain some connections also that way.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I do not think there are "legal' trails in Trevorton. No one seems to say anything. I heard the police stopped traffic from the big coal pile in town to the top of the hill. (hear say)

I went there once to the big coal pile but since I wouldn't attempt the hill it wasn't very interesting for me. The big hill can be very intimidating.

They say you can ride from there to Centrailia.

As soon as it warms up some! For me, it has to reach high 40ies by noon or I stay home.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Both Mountain Ridge and Rock Run are half as much and appear to have more miles of trails. They are 3 hours from my house though.

I also like that one can ride for a day at either(Rock Run/Mountain Ridge) and apply their daily rate towards an annual membership should they wish to join afterwards.

Tower City does not appear to allow this. Plus, they charge $50 per visit for guests of a member.

Their pricing seems really out of whack. Is it worth it?
Its n

Their pricing seems really out of whack. Is it worth iits not worth the money.an its $65 er day

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do not think there are "legal' trails in Trevorton. No one seems to say anything. I heard the police stopped traffic from the big coal pile in town to the top of the hill. (hear say)

I went there once to the big coal pile but since I wouldn't attempt the hill it wasn't very interesting for me. The big hill can be very intimidating.

They say you can ride from there to Centrailia.

As soon as it warms up some! For me, it has to reach high 40ies by noon or I stay home.
amoney. Any place is better than rausch creek

1 - 13 of 13 Posts