Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno if it's just me or what. Did a ton of plowing this winter and somehow the front frame brace broke and tore. This is the warn front mount. I do plow a gravel drive. Looking at it I don't know how polaris or warn ever expected it to stay together. The bolts on the sides were only 1/4 inch bolts held by a cheap punched out threaded hole and the front was held by 2 3/8 bolts. The thin stamped sheet metal frame brace bent all up and the cheap welds broke pushing a 60" tapered blade.
I repaired it once in a hurry and it broke again. I used to thin of metal. I'll post pics of the final repair in a reply.

sent from my android using tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the repair

Started by inserting 1" bar stock 6" up into the 4 frame tubes and welded them all together. Then I built a box out of 1 1/2 x 1/4 thick square tube and welded that on. The ends have 1/2" grade 8 bolts to replace the cheap 1/4" ones.
I think this was a weak area on the frame. I can't believe how thin the metal was holding the plow on. I wonder if a belly mount would be stronger.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd have to jump on the "front mount" soap box for this one..... :soapbox: And state I've always felt the mid mounts to be a stronger system. The Glacier 3 system is one of the best from the mounting stand point, as it uses front and mid mounting locations to distribute the force of the plow.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Tough winter! Are you not the same guy that tore the feet off his blade as well?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Tough winter! Are you not the same guy that tore the feet off his blade as well?
LOL, YUP!! Maybe I plow too much for this machine?
You may want to look into a mid-mount as stated above. Although the fix looks like you wont have that issue again.

or a county plow truck!!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
That is why i went away from a front Mount, i would have loved the extra lift, but just seeing how it mounted i could not commit to it. The eagle mid Mount has been great, we have had record snow this year on the east side and it's been taking some abuse with moving ice banks, finding random frozen goodies hidden under the snow and as of late moving 8 inches of frozen slush.

Repair looks good though, hopefully it will hold up better for you.

·
Registered
575 Posts
What kind of winch mount do you have Fred? I really can't believe how much trouble you've had. I have the Polaris winch mount, the Plow mount bolts to the winch mount and the frame, I haven't had any problems, and I feel mine gets worked pretty hard. I Have the Warn 60" straight blade with the front mount, with sidewalls, and the flange extension kit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
" finding random frozen goodies hidden under the snow" That sums it up pretty well . This year has been like plowing a minefield. I called it " shit I didn't see till I hit it " I like yours better.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ya a few supprise land scape timbers threw the quad right around 360 degrees and its still doing great. Also foumd the old boat prop i use to prop my triler up with frozen to my drive way, the wear bar didnt care so much for that, but its no longer frozen to the ground lol.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its a KFI winch mount. I think the dealer "cracked" the front brace. It was a demo model with a plow on it. There was rust were it was cracked and I originally repaired it that next day. It's all solid now! Live and learn I suppose. I still cant believe no one else has had trouble with this. It sure is a weak spot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I dunno if it's just me or what. Did a ton of plowing this winter and somehow the front frame brace broke and tore. This is the warn front mount. I do plow a gravel drive. Looking at it I don't know how polaris or warn ever expected it to stay together. The bolts on the sides were only 1/4 inch bolts held by a cheap punched out threaded hole and the front was held by 2 3/8 bolts. The thin stamped sheet metal frame brace bent all up and the cheap welds broke pushing a 60" tapered blade.
I repaired it once in a hurry and it broke again. I used to thin of metal. I'll post pics of the final repair in a reply.

Exact same thing happened to mine. Discussion here:

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/384073-post15.html

I just finished installing the Moose RM4. The mount is very beefy and attaches by using 4 u-bolts, 1 each on the four front frame tubes of the XP. No more snow here so I can't speak for reliability yet. It definitely lifts higher than the Warn and its farther out front when plowing. I'm waiting on the pulley system to come in, my winch brake(Viper 3500) isn't strong enough to hold the plow up. See the other thread for more info.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That must be the wrong link. It takes me to a starter thread

·
Registered
20 Posts
That must be the wrong link. It takes me to a starter thread

Works for me on Chrome. Tapatalk is probably misinterpreting it.
Thread is titled: Front mount or under carriage mount????

Or just use advanced search on my username.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, I got on a computer and saw your thread. How did you end up fixing yours? I really think Warn should re-do this because it bolts to a real flimsey piece of metal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok, I got on a computer and saw your thread. How did you end up fixing yours? I really think Warn should re-do this because it bolts to a real flimsey piece of metal.
I just had a piece of flat steel welded to tie the front a-arm mounts and lower frame tubes together. I rely on the Moose mount to strengthen the rest. I had no need for the tow loop and I had cut the mounts off of the "fangs" a couple of years ago, so I didn't need the mounting holes.

Your repair looks really good! I use my plow year round and just didn't trust the Warn mount any longer.

If you look at a parts schematic for a 2009 XP, the frame tubes in front are all tied together with a tube bulkhead. Warn probably designed their mount from that frame. I don't know why Polaris changed the front of the frame, but it is definitely a flimsy area to attach to.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I sold my front mount warn after so much trouble with it I couldn't take it anymore I have bought a used glacier ll 60 in and its been all good since then ...I was really disappointed in warn after that deal

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had I known where the warn mount attached I would have got something different. I think both warn and polaris need to go back to the drawing board on this set up. Bottom line is, if you have a front mount by warn you are gunna rip the front of the frame apart sooner or later

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now I wonder who's fault this is. Warns or polaris

1 - 20 of 51 Posts