Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum and looking hard into a new Scrambler LE. I have a YFZ450 but looking to upgrade to something with 4x4 so I can use it more in the winter. I normally ride with some friends in some woods trails and a sand pit.

I love the YFZ but it's limited to what I can do in the winter. Wondering who has come from the sport/race quad world and how they compare? I don't want to get rid of the YFZ and be disappointed with the power on the scrambler in comparison. I love to go fast through some tight trails and usually ride in the summer with guys on bikes so we're usually riding fast and technical. A friend has an Outlander 650 and I've ridden that and it feels kind of like a tank to me. Will the scrambler be that more sporty and fast? Also considering a scrambler 1000 if the 850 doesn't look like it's going to do the trick for me.

Thanks for any insight or advice!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Going from a sport quad to a utility quad is a big change! They will always feel heavy and like a tank in comparison. The higher the ponies the lighter they will feel, but they still weigh twice as much and will be noticeable.

Your best bet if you really want a sporty utility quad is a rene 1000 IMO. It's the closest in feel to the sport quads.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I raced sports quads for years, a Raptor 700 and a Polaris Outlaw 450 MXR in several different XC series in my area. I got a wild hair when I saw the Scrambler 850 LE and bought it. My daughter needed a 450 because she was moving up race classes and I didn't want to buy another 450 because of their limited usefulness in anything but going fast. So I got the Scrambler and continue to race it in the Utility class. The transition has not been an easy one for me. The IRS is very hard to get used to, sure it rides great, but the backend just doesn't behave like I want it to hardly any of the time. The weight is a huge thing, you don't just change directions on these big quads the same way a sport quad does. It feels different, mushy, out of control, like I'm gonna loose it in every corner. The power is there. I have raced the two 450s in my stable quite a few times and the drags always turn out the same, side-by-side all the way to 60 mph. Now these are modded 450s and my Scrambler is mostly stock, but wheel to wheel with a 450 is very good for this heavy joker. I will say that after a year of racing I am getting faster and in the last race was able to match lap times with my oldest daughter on her KFX450. No small feat, my first race on the Scrambler I was well off of her pace. She is no slouch, she is the fastest female in our series and races as the only girl in an all guys class. She knows how to go fast and rub tires with the guys...and I matched her lap times, my average lap time was 3 seconds faster than hers. I still have a ways to go to catch the fastest guys on utility quads, but I think I'm finally getting the feel for the Scrambler. Oh and another thing, power steering is the bomb! Don't get the wrong idea and think it will keep you from getting tired, my arms and shoulders get just a worn out as before, but it soaks up all the feedback from the trail. I have Precision steering stabilizers on my 450s and they are great at soaking up trail garbage, power steering is better, no jerk of the bars, ever, no matter how hard you hit something. Now I haven't clipped a tree real good yet, but the couple times I grazed a tree, the power steering saved me good. It's hard to say if you would make the transition to the bigger, heavier, less agile Scrambler well or not. I'm a big guy, 6'2" and 260 lbs so I thought it would be a no-brainer for me, I kinda look too big for a 450, but I haven't been so lucky, it is a work in progress. Good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I come from three decades of sport and race quad riding before getting my first 4x4. My advice has two main factors.
1. How old are you?
2. How tall and strong are you?

If you're under 30 I would recommend staying with a sport quad. Get a Honda 700XX or Polaris Outlaw IRS. They are still very sporty, but have more ground clearance for rough terrain and deeper snow.
If you are fairly tall and strong it will aid in throwing around the bigger 4x4 utes. It is a very different animal though so be prepared to accept that or you're making a mistake.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I come from three decades of sport and race quad riding before getting my first 4x4. My advice has two main factors.
1. How old are you?
2. How tall and strong are you?

If you're under 30 I would recommend staying with a sport quad. Get a Honda 700XX or Polaris Outlaw IRS. They are still very sporty, but have more ground clearance for rough terrain and deeper snow.
If you are fairly tall and strong it will aid in throwing around the bigger 4x4 utes. It is a very different animal though so be prepared to accept that or you're making a mistake.

I'm 32, 6'1" and about 240 lbs so can probably throw the scrambler around if I had to.

Also have a 5 and 2 year old so having something a little easier to take them for rides on is also a factor. Hope to get my oldest a ride of his own next year when he turns 6.

Have to say, these aren't the replies I was expecting, but very good info. I wish there was someplace I could test drive these things other than just driving it in the parking lot of the dealer which will gain me next to nothing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went to the scrambler after only ever owning sports quads. I think about trading it in all the time. Unfortunately, the wife isn't on board with doing that. Everybody around here just mud rides with lifts and snorkels. That's not my thing so I'd rather go back to the sport quad.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I don't have a Scrambler, but a Sportsman. However I have rode modded Blasters, modded 250r, several modded 400exs and a YfZ 450. For me, doing the riding I am doing, the ute works better. I don't deep mud ride, but I do trail ride and there are obstacles and ruts, and mud. I find the Polaris rides better and isn't that much slower to be honest when your slinging the trail. How fast do you still ride? I have slowed down a bit, I'm 35, and wanted something more practical. My YFZ is fast but wears me out fast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have a Scrambler, but a Sportsman. However I have rode modded Blasters, modded 250r, several modded 400exs and a YfZ 450. For me, doing the riding I am doing, the ute works better. I don't deep mud ride, but I do trail ride and there are obstacles and ruts, and mud. I find the Polaris rides better and isn't that much slower to be honest when your slinging the trail. How fast do you still ride? I have slowed down a bit, I'm 35, and wanted something more practical. My YFZ is fast but wears me out fast.

I ride pretty fast when out with my buddies who are riding 250 two and four stroke bikes and a 450 bike. They are good riders and never pull away from me on my YFZ. But thinking I would get out more with my kids in the fields and sand pit with the scrambler as it would be easier to ride with them, plus being able to use in the winter.

This past winter we had a bunch of kids from the neighborhood out in the sand pit sledding. I couldn't get my quad out there but the neighbor with an outlander rode right out and was using his trailer as a ski lift for the kids. It was pretty awesome. Looking forward to being able to use my own in all seasons here in the northeast.

I guess I'm still on the fence after reading all the responses so far. Keep the opinions coming! I really need to find one to demo outside of a dealer parking lot.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

I ride pretty fast when out with my buddies who are riding 250 two and four stroke bikes and a 450 bike. They are good riders and never pull away from me on my YFZ. But thinking I would get out more with my kids in the fields and sand pit with the scrambler as it would be easier to ride with them, plus being able to use in the winter.

This past winter we had a bunch of kids from the neighborhood out in the sand pit sledding. I couldn't get my quad out there but the neighbor with an outlander rode right out and was using his trailer as a ski lift for the kids. It was pretty awesome. Looking forward to being able to use my own in all seasons here in the northeast.

I guess I'm still on the fence after reading all the responses so far. Keep the opinions coming! I really need to find one to demo outside of a dealer parking lot.
The snow thing helped my in my decision as well. Watching people ride by on their Outlanders and King Quads during our snowfalls made me jealous. However if your riding with guys on bikes I'm not sure you will like a Scrambler. Maybe you would be better off with a 4x4 when you want to play with the kids or in snow and messy conditions, and buy a used bike for riding with your buds.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Two things that made my decision to change to a Sportsman is, Riding terrain and age. Before I purchased my first Polaris, I had a Suzuki LT250r. I had a lot of work done on it and I lived where sand and rocky trails were the primary riding when it comes to atv's. At 6'4" and around 245 at the time, I threw that thing around and it moved! Sure, I looked like "Charlie the circus bear" on it but it was a blast! Dumont was my favorite and closest to where my home was so, this is how I set my machine up. When I moved to Tennessee ( '94 - '95 ), My ride wasn't set up for that area and the trees, mud and water forced me to change my riding. The sportsman 500 was introduced and I bought it. Never looked back. Now that I have aged a bit, I'm glad I don't have one. The way I used to ride would either kill me now or would put me out of commission for a while. Besides, I like to see where I have been now rather where I am going.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I went to the Scrambler 1k from a Predator 500 and it took a little while to get used to it. I know I was wayyy faster through the twisties and tight technical stuff on my Predator, but I dont think I could ever give up the Scrambler now. And if you want the snappy power like a sport bike, go for the 1000 as it will not disappoint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have recently came from both a YZ450f and YZF450 to a Sportsman 500 Touring. Not the Scrambler I know but maybe still useful...

Sure its a bigger and heavier machine and yes I am not a fast on it as a bike our sport quad. But will it put a smile on my face.... it sure does. I was a very accomplished enduro racer about 10 years ago and had been trying to hang onto the go-fast , go racing idea but with increasing demands by work and kids schedules (academics, sports, ect) it was impossible to get away. I have realized that go-fast and race idea is kind of selfish and sort of pointless like a dog chasing it tail over and over.

The Touring sportsman has gotten me outdoors in the woods more then I ever could with my race machines. Big thing is it is an enabler to be out with my kids with one one her Raptor 250 and the other (who would rather be a passenger) on the back seat feeding me gummy bears while going down the trail. Plus we had a blast towing the sled around and goofing off in the snow event we had here. Also used it to move firewood from some downed trees.

Another benefit is you don't have to feel like you have to be careful and count engine hours like precious diamonds before you hit 100 and have to rebuild.

The Sportsman for me is a tool that get the job done and get you down the trail (no matter the conditions) with a smile and you have to be OK with that. If you are hung up on adrenaline aspect and it only, then you have a few more years to simmer before you are ready to come over to the smart side :lmao::lmao:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have recently came from both a YZ450f and YZF450 to a Sportsman 500 Touring. Not the Scrambler I know but maybe still useful...

Sure its a bigger and heavier machine and yes I am not a fast on it as a bike our sport quad. But will it put a smile on my face.... it sure does. I was a very accomplished enduro racer about 10 years ago and had been trying to hang onto the go-fast , go racing idea but with increasing demands by work and kids schedules (academics, sports, ect) it was impossible to get away. I have realized that go-fast and race idea is kind of selfish and sort of pointless like a dog chasing it tail over and over.

The Touring sportsman has gotten me outdoors in the woods more then I ever could with my race machines. Big thing is it is an enabler to be out with my kids with one one her Raptor 250 and the other (who would rather be a passenger) on the back seat feeding me gummy bears while going down the trail. Plus we had a blast towing the sled around and goofing off in the snow event we had here. Also used it to move firewood from some downed trees.

Another benefit is you don't have to feel like you have to be careful and count engine hours like precious diamonds before you hit 100 and have to rebuild.

The Sportsman for me is a tool that get the job done and get you down the trail (no matter the conditions) with a smile and you have to be OK with that. If you are hung up on adrenaline aspect and it only, then you have a few more years to simmer before you are ready to come over to the smart side :lmao::lmao:
Well said! Another thing is I felt on my 450 I had to go fast. I would find myself really pushing the pace and myself to the point where I was wearing myself out. So far in the minimal riding I have done with the Sportsman I find it more relaxing, but it has enough nuts to pick up the pace as well. Am I ever going to be Jeremy Borich through the trails on my 570, no. But why do I need to try?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Appreciate all the replies and opinions. I'm leaning towards making the switch. When's the best time to get a good deal on one of these? Is it in the spring when they are trying to push them or in the fall when they are trying to get rid of the 2014s to make room for the 2015s?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
i used to own sport quads. a raptor 700, then went to an irs outlaw. went from that to a grizzly, now the scrambler. i wouldnt ever give up having 4x4. it would be nice to own both thow. i can go just as fast through the woods now, if not faster than i used to on the raptor or outlaw. and for just putting around the cvt driven 4x4s are much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i came from racing and screwing around on a moded dvx 400….. i used to love jumps and going fast. sold that and bought the scrambler. No i love the thing to death rides amazing and can't wait to mud it. it kept up to my dvx and has no problem booting in tight areas and def is a blast for all kind of riding. Now i do regret selling my dvx tho as the scrambler can not climb the big steep hills that my dvx could as i am worried about it rolling over as i have rolled the dvx several time and this thing would just cost to much to repair. I used to ride my dvx like a 4x4 with no issues in the snow and mud besides getting hung up once in a while. So its really hard to choose. I am 29 and its deff easier on ur body but u can not throw it around like a sport quad as stated above

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Appreciate all the replies and opinions. I'm leaning towards making the switch. When's the best time to get a good deal on one of these? Is it in the spring when they are trying to push them or in the fall when they are trying to get rid of the 2014s to make room for the 2015s?

I've done both. I purchased my 500 in sept. at model year end and I got my 850 in the spring while they were having a huge XP only manufacturer rebate. The savings are usually comparable unless there is a model specific factory incentive.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts