Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get something I can take my daughter on that my wife can also drive.
She has very little experience on an atv.
Would a RZR 800 be too much for her to handle?
I also want to have it for when I take friends out to ride.
I would rather put them on this than on my Scrambler.

Can a novice hop behind the wheel and go?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Too many variables, not enough description (of your wife, of the intended terrain, etc) to say. However...

Many women drive 800s with no issues. Also bigger ones too.
There was a smallish woman kicking ass in an XP1000 on my last ride, in difficult terrain. It was brand new and I think she was too.

If your wife is willing to learn and ride, and you start with something appropriate to get her started, she'll probably end up driving it better than you do!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Rzr 570. Excellent performance. Cheaper. And the trail has the unlocking rear diff. Huge benefit in tighter trails or hard pack.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the 08 800 rzr. Love it. Easy to drive and just enough power. I let my 12 yr old daughter drive it all the time at the camp grounds. Now she doesn't drive it at high speeds but I'm letting her get used to driving in hopes driving a car will come easier. After a couple times she does great.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
There are many variables here like already stated by Scoundrel, but the rzr 800 is easy to drive. That being said, if the operator has no experience with ATV/UTV's, make sure there is proper amount of instruction time and time behind the wheel before going off on their own.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!
I am looking at the standard 800 LE. It appears I can get a new 2013 for $10K if I look around.
We own 50 acres and currently own a lifted golf cart that everyone likes to drive. It is the 'party machine'. The thing is that it can sometimes get a bit dangerous with the lift kit and being on hills.
I can't go with the S model because I will use it on PA State Forest trails which require an atv be under 50"W.
My 12 year old son will also drive it since his Raptor 250 is useless in all but dry ground.

My wife also wants to be able to drive it with our daughter in it when we go to places like Rock Run. She has grown bored with reading books at the RV all day while we are out riding.
My wife has thrown my Outlander Max around in the fields already so she is fine riding solo. I just wanted to make sure a RZR wasn't heavy or too cumbersome for a 5' 100# woman.
I was thinking about the 570 and see it has the 'newer' engine. However, I still want to be impressed when I drive it with another friend and am afraid the lack of c.c.'s may also depict a lack of fun when climbing off road.

·
Registered
152 Posts
First thing I would recommend adding to it once you get it is a good custom roll cage and at least 4 point harnesses. Can never be to safe.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
A friend of mine has a 570RZR he loves it. we lined up on a flat dirt road, both machines were stock (he was on BigHorns) and he stayed with me till about 35-40, then he was topped out. it does climb fairly well and the off the line throttle response is very nice.

with that being said, its nothing like hanging off the handlebars of an 850, squeezing the throttle as hard as you can. but for what it is, i was pretty impressed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I just came across the Can Am Commander 800R with DPS for right around $10K new.
Oh God, just when I thought I was finally done with the whole Polaris/Can Am thing!!!

*Never mind on the Commander. I see they start at 58"W.
Too wide for State Forests.

·
Registered
815 Posts
If you don't need to stay with the 50" width, I wouldn't. Go with at least the xc rzr. It will be so much more stable on turns and off camber situations.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If you don't need to stay with the 50" width, I wouldn't. Go with at least the xc rzr. It will be so much more stable on turns and off camber situations.
What are the rules on these things?
I thought 50"W was the limit. I believe I heard it through the Rzr promos.
It appears 58"W is a standard in PA parks.
What about other places?

Isn't the S-model 60"W?

Like I said, I am a bit of a newbie.

*I just came upon this from the place we ride:
Michaux State Forest. ATVs must be registered, have proof of liability insurance and be 50" or less in width. Motorcycles are not permitted.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you take a 50" SxS on trails that have a 50" limit, expect to constantly catch your tires on rocks and stumps on the side of the trail, and have to go slow most of the time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you take a 50" SxS on trails that have a 50" limit, expect to constantly catch your tires on rocks and stumps on the side of the trail, and have to go slow most of the time.
Yep. Unfortunately it is what it is with state forests. :(
But it is the only 50 miles of trails I have within 2 hours.

Also, I have come to the determination that I am gong to look at a Rzr 570. After some research and speaking to my local shop, if not going with an S-model the 570 is actually a better overall quad than the 800.

I can also get a new LE model for right around $11K.

·
Registered
815 Posts
i agree with the 570 over 800. My sportsman 570 is now 53'' wide with the tires and rims and my park is a 50" limit. Its tight for sure especially on bridge crossings but overall its fine. A rzr might be different with its longer length though if there are many really tight spots.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I kind of made a 360 and ended up going with a '14 Rzr 800XC.
It was not what I was originally looking for but after seeing one in person I was done.
It looks almost exactly like my Scrambler...but better!

Matte black, 14" black offset wheels, 26" Bighorns, WE shocks, LED headlights, PRP seats, and 55"W...absolutely perfect!

I am actually very curious after I get my ten hours on the Rzr which I end up riding the most now. :ponder:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well, I kind of made a 360 and ended up going with a '14 Rzr 800XC.
It was not what I was originally looking for but after seeing one in person I was done.
It looks almost exactly like my Scrambler...but better!

Matte black, 14" black offset wheels, 26" Bighorns, WE shocks, LED headlights, PRP seats, and 55"W...absolutely perfect!

I am actually very curious after I get my ten hours on the Rzr which I end up riding the most now. :ponder:
PICTURES! BEFORE it gets muddy!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Congrats on the new RZR. Like said, pictures please.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 rzr 570 blue fire LE. It has the power steering and ebs. I haven't riden it around much, but seems pretty powerful. I did a lot of research between the 570 and 800. I heard the 570 has better torque, drivetrain and relability, plus way easier to maintain. So far I have been impressed!! Still have my other 2 sportsman's, (wouldn't trade off those LOL)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I think the 570 is the better engine, from everything I have read.
It also sounds as if it is easier to work on. However, our Rzr is going to be a creampuff with my wife driving. Plus, most of it's miles will be at home on our property riding around in fields.
I'm also thinking if I would become addicted to the sxs movement and end up selling my Scrammy, it appears I would be happier with the 800XC and all it's available mods for the long haul. But that is an uneducated opinion being as how I know very little about sxs's.

I really wish they made this XC with the 900 prostar.
That would be nice!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts