Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had one just give me heck about it. I have one on already, with thousands of miles on it. But the tire guy at this shop is saying the DOT says they can't put a P rated tire on a trailer rim.

Sean

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't know the exact reason, but I have heard the construction of the tire does not hold up well with tandem axle applications where the tires experience scrub when turning.

But I have seen many single axle trailers, and old pickup truck boxes converted to trailers that have car and light truck tires on for years without issue. I would research state/provincial laws to see what they have to say. I was a tire man in Ontario, Canada twenty years ago and it was unlawful to install passenger car tires on a trailer or vice versa. That may have changed since then, but I doubt it.

Some shops may not care and do the install regardless. Phone around.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Mount it yourself!! I do them ALL THE TIME!!

Its not very hard!!

CW

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
oh god, not this again.

lol

basics, the passenger tires don't have as stiff of side wall and can accentuate trailer sway if the trailer is unbalanced/over loaded/etc. Mount them yourself.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
So you're saying p tirres are ok for a 3500lb car but not ok for a trailer rated at 1500?

P tiress will work fine.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
So you're saying p tirres are ok for a 3500lb car but not ok for a trailer rated at 1500?

P tiress will work fine.
I'm not saying that, but the dealer is. Too much liability in it for them.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I drive an F-150 and tow a 6500 lb RV with it....it came with P rated tires. Just seemed like BS to me (about the DOT saying they cant). This trailer is a tandem, but will only be hauling 2000 lbs of ATVs in it.

The problem with ST rated tires is that they are rated for a max of 65 MPH. So if I got the correct tires, I would be over speeding them. If it was my RV, I would get ST or LT rated tires. I don't think it really mattered with the light load I carry on my ATV trailer.

Sean

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
oh god, not this again.

lol

basics, the passenger tires don't have as stiff of side wall and can accentuate trailer sway if the trailer is unbalanced/over loaded/etc. Mount them yourself.
Here we go again. I ran a bass boat trailer on car tires for the whole 19 years I owned it, the same set of tires, so you can run a car tire safely on an atv trailer all day long. Hell, if they will hold up a two ton car, I don't see any problems carrying a few atvs on a trailer...IMO

·
Registered
255 Posts
Instead of guessing why you can or can't put "P" rated tires on a trailer and what the differences are between a regular car tire and an "ST" rated trailer tire, try an online search for the info. As an example, go to this reply at Tire Rack...http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219

There is a lot of good info out there on this subject and some of it may change your mind about the use of tires.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
There is quite a bit more side force put on a Trailer Tire and ST Rated tires are designed with this in mind,P metric tires may work but will usually not be as durable as ST Rated tires & will also usually have a lower weight capacity & likely a lower psi rating.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
There is quite a bit more side force put on a Trailer Tire and ST Rated tires are designed with this in mind,P metric tires may work but will usually not be as durable as ST Rated tires & will also usually have a lower weight capacity & likely a lower psi rating.
there is not more side force put on a trailer tire. there is far more put on steering and driving tires than there are on trailer tires. The side walls are made stiffer to help reduce trailer sway. nothing more. Trailer tires are not strong enough to handle the forces of a driving or steering tire and thus why they should never be used on a vehicle. whereas a P/LT tire can be used as a trailer tire so long as the load rating is sufficient for the load of the trailer. most LT tires have a load rating that would be perfectly suitable for a 3500 lbs or smaller axle.

·
Registered
170 Posts
there is not more side force put on a trailer tire. there is far more put on steering and driving tires than there are on trailer tires. The side walls are made stiffer to help reduce trailer sway. nothing more. Trailer tires are not strong enough to handle the forces of a driving or steering tire and thus why they should never be used on a vehicle. whereas a P/LT tire can be used as a trailer tire so long as the load rating is sufficient for the load of the trailer. most LT tires have a load rating that would be perfectly suitable for a 3500 lbs or smaller axle.
Perhaps but have you ever watched the tires on a Tandem Axle Trailer during tight turning manuvers? Quite a bit of sidways force is put on the tires in that situation.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ok...I am back home now. I was at wolf pen gap in Arkansas. I had zero bars on my phone 99% of the time there. I did do some googling while I was waiting on the tire (had a signal in Mena). They did install it. My question was about the DOT saying you can't install it. I know the sidewalls are thinner. I also know an ST tire is only rated for 65mph...which is why I wanted a P rated tire. My trailer is 1800 lbs. My ATVs are about 2000 lbs. the P rated tires are rated for about 1800 lbs (x4 = 7200 lbs). The problem with P rated tires is not wheel scrub or sidewall blowouts. It is trailer sway...which is pretty much a non player with a flatbed trailer with ATVs on it. It is more of a problem with box trailers and trailers with a high COG.

Again, I had never heard about the DOT getting involved with this and figured the installer was FOS....hense the question.

I know of two people that have had blowouts on their RVs..and I am betting it is because they were running their ST tires at 75 MPH. I have not blown a tire yet...and I run at a max speed of 65mph. So I have a larger fear of over speeding the tires than I am of sway on my ATV trailer. If it was my RV, it would be a different story.

thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Perhaps but have you ever watched the tires on a Tandem Axle Trailer during tight turning manuvers? Quite a bit of sidways force is put on the tires in that situation.
yes I have, and it's still less than a steering tire.

·
Registered
806 Posts
To the OP's original question: There is no DOT regulation prohibiting the use of a "P" or "LT" rated tire on a trailer.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
yes I have, and it's still less than a steering tire.
I told this in another thread and got laughed at, but since I worked for a tire company for 38 years, building tires, I have seen regular auto tires downgraded to trailer only use, but have never seen a trailer tire upgraded to drive or steering use. That ought to tell anyone about the strength and durability of regular auto tires

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry but there is a TON of slide force on a tandem axle trailer. I should know, I "drag off" a set of 4 every year on my lawncare trailer. IF you don't believe it look at the black marks it leaves on a sharp turn. JUST my observation... but 12 tires in 3 years cant be 100% wrong... lol

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Sorry but there is a TON of slide force on a tandem axle trailer. I should know, I "drag off" a set of 4 every year on my lawncare trailer. IF you don't believe it look at the black marks it leaves on a sharp turn. JUST my observation... but 12 tires in 3 years cant be 100% wrong... lol
Yes there is tons of side force on a tandem axle trailer. and part of the reason you're "dragging" off trailer tires is because you're using trailer tires. if you used P/LT rated tires you wouldn't be going through tires so fast because they're stronger and can withstand more force than a Trailer tire.

I have a tandem axle trailer so I'm fully aware of what you're talking about. but I also do everything I can to avoid super tight corner. So I don't get as much side ways drag on the tire, so much as I get a rolling drag.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts