Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went out to the garage last night to sit on my 2000 xplorer 250 and the shifter was froze up solid. temp was in the high teens. this is the first winter ive had this machine. i started her up and warmed for about 5-10 mins and was able to get into forward but didnt want to mess around more and break something. my question is is this common and/or what is the remidy? thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
you may want to check inside the shift selector....take the boot off an see if there is water in there which is freezing to ice....if so...clean it up and replace with some of the oil you use for the motor 5-40 woks well....i made a little mix of 5-40 and a few drops of moly to use in the shifter..works smooth now in any temp...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Agree. If the boot is cracked/damaged it will let in water. When replacing it you have full access to the shifter box to clean and refill with proper amount of engine oil.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i took her out for a quick spin for 10 mins this afternoon and by the time i got hm i was able to shift into reverse. then after a few seconds of fiddling w shifter i got into low. then she smoothed right out. that was one of the few things i didnt mess w when i got the basket case last year. guess i over looked it. ill take it apart, clean up, lube, and report back. thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
glad you got that fixed....I figured it was ice in the shifter....First place to look when shifter wont move then will when warmed....I use a silicone grease where the boot mates to shifter box and where shifter exits boot on top....gives a nice seal...water will enter from shifter most times when it runs down the shifter handle an gets inside...a little silicone grease will stop it....Di electric may also work..its silicone....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts