Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing some aftermarket skids for my 850 Touring. I remember a company made a set of slick, abrasion resistant plastic for some sport quads. They had good reviews.
I can't find anything for my Polaris. Just the aluminum option. I really want to try a full plastic set. Spending $500 for the Ricochet kit seems a little too pricey at this point.
I searched and came across a couple posts in aluminum skids threads of people that made their own plastic. Not much info was given though. A mention of HDPE was put out. I looked into that material and found that I can buy a 1/4" thick sheet at 48" wide X 60" long for only $100 bucks.

Does any company produce kits or am I on my own to build it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
They do make Polyethylene skid plates. Sorry, can't help you for US distributors but in Canada we can get them through Royal Distributing. Made by Perfex.
I'm thinking of getting them as well since the aluminum ones are so expensive.

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New Polaris 570 Sportsman Plastic 10mm HDPE Poly Skid Plate Full Kit Iron Baltic | eBay

I see this place makes them for the 570, not sure if they have any for your 850. I didn't see any on eBay for the 850. Maybe you can message them? Kinda pricey tho...
That's exactly what I am hoping for. I couldn't find them for the touring either, not to mention thats not a US based seller.
I find it crazy that nobody is producing them. I have now read on many different forums that people are very happy with how slick and quiet they are vs metal. Most people have made there own apparently. I read posts of guys using 55 gal drums or 5 gal buckets cut and heated to flatten them. That is pretty desperate.
A manufacturer needs to step up to the plate here. If I can't find something I will attempt my own out of plate polyethylene.

A link to one for sport quads. http://www.jokersracing.com/content...x_complete_underside_uhmw_pe_skid_plates.html

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah, if ya can't find any, make your own. Should be a cool project. Plus ya get the satisfaction of knowing you built it. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
build your own. The UHMW and the HDPE are really easy to work with, and very forgiving. a circular saw and or a Jig saw and a drill are all you'll need to make the main skids. and you should be able to get the A-arms done if you've got a heat gun.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
get some "tag" board/sign board the thick paper that people make garage sale signs out of. tape it to the frame and then trace the frame onto the paper. attach multiple pieces together as needed. Cut out the traced template. trim to fit on the frame then transfer that to the material you're using for the skids. Cut out material and bend/form to meet your needs.

see link.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...ifications/39166-home-made-skid-plates-4.html

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you build one yourself I think you'd want to use UHMW, at least that's what all the hardcore rock crawler guys I know use on their high dollar tube buggies. It will slide on rocks unlike aluminum which will hang up. It still needs support for the most part if its going to be spanning any open areas and isn't real thick.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
If you build one yourself I think you'd want to use UHMW, at least that's what all the hardcore rock crawler guys I know use on their high dollar tube buggies. It will slide on rocks unlike aluminum which will hang up. It still needs support for the most part if its going to be spanning any open areas and isn't real thick.
you won't need anything extra support on and ATV, the weight of the machine isn't the same as a Sxs. the 1/4"-3/16" this UHMW plastics will hold up the weight of an ATV. that being said it's about twice the cost of a similar sized sheet of 1/8" Aluminum which is more than enough protection for an ATV. Also, the lower weight of an ATV means that you won't get bound up so bad like they do on the sxs with Ali skids.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been running the Iron Baltic Plastic 10mm HDPE during local hare scrambles and GNCC races. It is holding up really well. The big ticket is that it is easy to take on and off. Also for those that like to modify (drill extra holes for drainage), this skid has several configurations based on your style of riding.

I found it on Ebay. Decent price for what you get. Polaris Scrambler XP 850 1000 Plastic Full Skid | eBay

1 - 14 of 14 Posts