Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a good quality oil filter for my 2011 850 xp and found that fram makes one its a ph6017a any one tried it !!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
You are going to get alot of crap if you run a Fram filter. They have been tested to be "the worst filter on the market." If you search on here you can find the numbers for Bosch, Purolater, Wix, etc. Parts numbers.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
:stupid: Ditto what he said..... many 3rd part tests (do a google search) have shown frams interior paper construction to be sub par. I wouldn't chance my engine.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the only filter fram makes that they say is good is the Fram Ultra synthetic one....metal end caps and 3 layer filter media....seen some cut outs on bob is the oil guy and lots say its a big difference than other frams and its guality filter...but I would not run an orange can on the ATV...

wix..pure one....napa (wix)...Bosch...all quality filters that wont break the bank...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why would you not use a Polaris oil filter. It's not like you change your oil and filter every week. This is just me a person might change there oil and filter 3 to 4 time a year at most I just don't see the big saving over Polaris.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have used Fram oil filters on cars and atvs for many years without any issues. If I remember correctly the 6017a is the same length as the Polaris filter for the XPs. Don't use it if it is any longer as it may get smashed (if it sticks out farther than the stock filter).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have used Fram oil filters on cars and atvs for many years without any issues. If I remember correctly the 6017a is the same length as the Polaris filter for the XPs. Don't use it if it is any longer as it may get smashed (if it sticks out farther than the stock filter).
Same here. I do recommend/like wix though.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Why would you not use a Polaris oil filter. It's not like you change your oil and filter every week. This is just me a person might change there oil and filter 3 to 4 time a year at most I just don't see the big saving over Polaris.
Purolator at Wal Mart is 3.27 and a lot closer for me to travel than back to POPO land for their overpriced stuff. I don't know what a Polaris filter costs but I'm sure it is much more than 3.27, and the savings in gas will pay for the Purolator. Your young and savings should mean everything to you. If you want to save money for stuff for your kids, use alternatives, and those 3-4 changes will cost less than half when using alternative fluids and filters

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone got the Purolator part number for a 2011 850 xp maybe ill give it a go ....420 trap I bought my bike used and I change my oil at 50 hrs for a bit cause I don't know how often it was changed before I got it just trying to give er a flush I guess then ill go with polaris stuff

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Napa Gold 1358 or Wix 51358. Very good filter and about $7.00 on sale at Napa....I usually buy 4 or 5 when they go on sale so I always have a spare.

I have had a recent bad experience with Fram Ultra Guard and other Fram filters restricting flow and oil pressure so they have lost me as a customer. Also used a Fram Ultra Guard (cartrige style) so I got to see what is inside the can and I'm not impressed. My truck now has 5-25 lbs more oil pressure (depending on RPM and Oil Temp) now that I have switched to a Napa Gold filter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
thanks guys I took the fram back today and got my $$$$ back and called for the napa filter its $13.28 the polaris is $15 a fat man just cant catch a break

·
Registered
434 Posts
The wix filter is nowhere near that expensive if I remember right. $8 bucks approx I think. Checker/O'reilly Auto has them.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
thats the price of the Napa gold when not on sale..I bought one not long ago and was same price....I usualy use pure one..but wanted to try the gold....pure one is much cheaper....some golds are cheaper..I guess depends on size...I priced the one for my truck..it was 8.35...lol...bigger an cheaper....come spring they will have their sale....I get the flyer

·
Registered
434 Posts
Scratch that above. I just checked the O'reilly site and they are 11.99 each. Damn... I don't recall paying that much. Youch!

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you have room (5/8 inch longer) a 1357 has the same specs as a 1358 and is usually about $6-$7 everyday @ NAPA. Or if you don't want to spend the $$$ you can get a 21358 NAPA Proselect for about $5. It still has metal end caps, but it doesn't have the silicone valve the gold has (it has rubber) and the filter media isn't top of the line like the gold. And its still 2000x better than a fram.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Bunch of bullshit, Fram is one of the few filters with a check valve, like Ford filter's it stops oil from draining back into the crankcase and keeping oil up to the cam's.
Wix is CRAP, I had one 25 yrs ago on my F250 and it would knock every startup, the bullshit about the paper inside is pure anti Fram propaganda.
I'm a ASE Master, Ford Senior Master Tech with 30+ years experiance.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Go cut each of the filters open then and show how much better the 'Fram' superstar is. I have and they are cardboard. Wix is not. Almost all filters have a check valve and a bypass valve in them.

How can you even compare something that happened 25 years ago to now, companies change and redirect money from r&d to marketing and vice versa.

Lets see some pictures.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts