Polaris ATV Forum banner

101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms

Weight numbers/viscosity as noted by others is Temperature related which means the (cSt) is what we really want to know. Under the right temperature range a straight 30 weight synthetic motor could meet Polaris requirements.

Polaris shotguns it with a broad temp range like 5W-50 so those confused or just not interested in understanding motor oil facts do not mess up.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The problem with Polaris is that they are so focused on selling their overpriced oil that they pretty much tell the customer "Run PS-4 or else". My Scrambler owners manual says to use the 2W-50 PS-4 and doesn't give any other options.

As I said earlier in the thread, engines are simply not that sensitive and can use a variety of different oil grades depending on the conditions they are being used in. In addition to my Scrambler, we also have a Kawasaki Prairie 360. (Wife's ride) Kawasaki does it the right way and recommends a variety of different grades depending on the conditions the machine is used in. Their recommendations vary from 5W-30 all the way to 20W-50 depending on temperature.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

101 - 105 of 105 Posts