Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sportsman 850XP W/EPS
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing these on eBay and am curious if anyone else has used these and how do you like them. Are they worth buying?
Soft synthetic rope shackle

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pull alot of trees out of the woods for firewood. I usually use my tow strap that I wrap around the tree and the other end goes to a metal shackle that I hook to my receiver. I was thinking that instead of having to unscrew the shackle I could use this so I can take the tow strap off easier and faster

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you are dragging trees, you really should get a choke chain. Ask if you don't know what they are. They are made for that and will outlast a nylon or poly rope by 1000x.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I pull alot of trees out of the woods for firewood. I usually use my tow strap that I wrap around the tree and the other end goes to a metal shackle that I hook to my receiver. I was thinking that instead of having to unscrew the shackle I could use this so I can take the tow strap off easier and faster
yeah these would be perfect for that application. You just don’t want to connect to something with sharp edges, so you may need your shackle receiver and then connect your strap to the metal shackle with the soft shackle.

As ArlyA states though, if your dragging a lot of trees you should really invest in a choke chain or cable specific for the task that will outlast your tow strap.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That choke chain looks good. I will pick one of them up and try them. That type of easy remove shackle would work perfectly. I have a similar setup to that I made out of one of those cables they use to stabilize telephone poles with but that is so thick and stiff it's not easy to work with. I also made a sled out of diamond plate. You can see what it looks like in the pictures below. That is another brand but mine is the same exact thing.
But it is heavy and not as easy to use as just a plain tow strap but it does make pulling easier. The tree skids ontop of the grass instead of digging into it causing alot more drag.

Attachments

Reactions: ArlyA and ronc80

·
Registered
299 Posts
We'd wear a poly rope out in one shot. The skid plate Mikeli shows might do the trick. The choke chain we use of course does not have the ski plate which might be a plus but I'll try get a photo of our chain next time I'm in the shop. We've skidded many, many trees around for my work, but that was mostly via UTV. From doing this, was why we got one for our personal use.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That skid plate set-up looks like it would help with large logs that due tend to dig in, but also looks heavy and cumbersome.

Choker cable is all I’ve ever used. Simple, light and effective. Can bundle multiple logs together and can take a beating.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The skid plate definetly makes it much easier to pull trees around. I can feel the difference while using it. It pulls so much easier and takes alot of strain off the ATV. I can keep the revs lower to get it moving and it turns easier. My biggest issue is I also used one of those chain locks like in the picture above but It was a pain to keep it closed. Because of the different sized logs it put the clamp at different places and it would keep opening up on me unless I used a bungee cord to hold the lever down. Other than that it was heavy and bulky to move around.

·
Registered
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI
3 Posts
A bunch of my SAR buddies use the soft shackles for their jeeps and overland trucks and really like them. You can carry a bunch in your recovery kit and they keep the weight down.
Gmartino100 makes a good point, make sure there isn't anything to snag on your attachment point. Any snags in the material means time to replace.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Here is our chain which believe is 5/16 grade 70 chain. So its rather small chain and easy to handle. I'd love to try the cable type chokes but never got the opportunity. Seems they'd be stiff to handle and harder to store?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That chain definitely looks like the way to go. I was looking at some YouTube videos of them and they look very easy to use.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is a cable sling that was left by the last owner of the property but it has to be atleast 1/2" thick and is very stiff and not to easy to use, plus it is starting to frey so if your not carefully with it you will cut your hands on the strands. It looks just like this picture but is much longer

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
This type od choker is also repairable. Here is a photo from years ago choking, then dragging trees down.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Going to buy the 10' 5/16 grade 70 off Amazon. Looks like a good deal.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Let us know how you like it. I think its good that its only 10ft long. These chains are much easier to lenghten, than to make shorter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will do. It may be a while. Not sure when I am going to get upstate again. I live just outside if NYC. The coronavirus capital if the world and the property I go to is my friends place. Hopefully we will be good enough by memorial day to not have to social distance anymore.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't believe they have any log chains like that on amozony. Do post link to it. Are you sure its not just a normal chain?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts