Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just added a 2 up seat to my 850 and the seat leans down and forward a lot. Has anyone else had this problem and if so figured out a solution. FYI before people say you can’t drive with that where I live it is legal to drive with a passenger on a added seat. Any infor would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
6,998 Posts
Pictures are required..... It's in the forum rules
Read the Directions.gif

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,755 Posts
So I just added a 2 up seat to my 850 and the seat leans down and forward a lot. Has anyone else had this problem and if so figured out a solution. FYI before people say you can’t drive with that where I live it is legal to drive with a passenger on a added seat. Any infor would be greatly appreciated
Not sure where you ride but it is completely illegal to ride 2 up on a machine designed for 1 regardless of how many seats are installed. The warning labels on the machine state as much.

·
Premium Member
6,998 Posts
Wisconsin will cost ya $186.50 and someone will be walking back to trhe truck.

·
Premium Member
6,998 Posts
Where I live here in Quebec it is 100 percent legal I have a certification so that I may drive with an added 2up seat which I had to pay and take a course on.
Intresting that Canada allows this agnist the manufactures recommendations. What does the class and test consist of?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Intresting that Canada allows this agnist the manufactures recommendations. What does the class and test consist of?
Only in Quebec that I know of. It’s a dumb course. It was literally in a pit with cones driving around and some other little thing like what to do if you get stuck on a hill. Worst part is didn’t have to do the course with a passenger on the quad which you think would be one of the requirements doing the course. Cost is 100$ and good for life. I won’t be leaving the seat on just on and off whenever I decide to go with someone. Due to the fact that the rear rack system is higher than the atv seat it creates quite the forward down angle on the 2up seat.

·
Premium Member
6,998 Posts
Crazy test, all that additional weight, and up high, really makes the ATV unstable. My only guess for not having a passenger would be so when you tip over you can't sue or hold them responsable?

·
Premium Member
6,998 Posts
I would also suggest the Accessory Anchors to secure it to the rear rack.

Accessory Anchor

Accessory Anchors.jpg

Reactions: Sprotsman

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crazy test, all that additional weight, and up high, really makes the ATV unstable. My only guess for not having a passenger would be so when you tip over you can't sue or hold them responsable?
I can see why it’s not legal everywhere it does seem to have the chance of being quite dangerous. I don’t drive like a crazy person so I’m not to worried about flipping and I won’t be using it all the time. After our ride Saturday the seat will be coming off on Sunday. I personally don’t like the look of them on but after being stuck home since March of 2020 with two young kids every day I finally found a sitter so we are running away for the day of riding.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,755 Posts
Where I live here in Quebec it is 100 percent legal I have a certification so that I may drive with an added 2up seat which I had to pay and take a course on.
That is super interesting to know that Quebec allows it, whereas it is not allowed in Ontario. As long as you are 18, have completed the competency test and installed the seat in accordance with seat manufacturer's instructions, it is completely legal. Even though the manufacturer of the machine states that it is not allowed. I think Quebec would be in a world of hurt if someone died on the back seat of an atv that was not designed to carry a second passenger and the Province was sued.

Reactions: FPD218

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
Ever ride behind someone with that setup? My brother-in-law has it with MY sister as passenger and it’s painful to watch!

·
Registered
269 Posts
This many replies and no one has focused on the actual question asked by the OP.

To me, the seat is installed too far back on the rack. I know you're trying to leave as much room as possible for the passenger but the passenger seat needs to sit more on the flat part of the Polaris seat. This will put it in a better position.

Also, you really need to install some foot pegs on the floorboards. When I installed the seat on my Can Am, a passenger would eventually get pushed into my back until they scooted themselves back in the seat. I'm 6'0", and I haven't really trail ridden sitting in the seat, just got someone to drive me up our gravel road, but it is super comfortable to ride on with the foot pegs. I made my own out of a 2 x 4.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
Mostly cause there is no good answer. It might be legal where he lives but the machine was designed for ONE rider. I think mainly the responses were genuinely trying to dissuade OP from doing this and not to ignore his question.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mostly cause there is no good answer. It might be legal where he lives but the machine was designed for ONE rider. I think mainly the responses were genuinely trying to dissuade OP from doing this and not to ignore his question.
But that's not the point. The OP asked a question that he wanted help with, not a lecture on whether it was right, wrong, safe, or unsafe. I'm sure he's already considered the consequences and is willing to accept it.

He also has what appears to be a relatively new 850 so I doubt anything we say is going to persuade him to go buy a 2 up or trade what he has for a 2 up.

Also, there is a good answer. I gave it to him.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
And that’s your opinion blammo. And mine is 2 people and 2x4’s on a 1-up is not a good idea! I’m glad it’s working out for you though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
And that’s your opinion blammo. And mine is 2 people and 2x4’s on a 1-up is not a good idea! I’m glad it’s working out for you though.
You're still missing the point. I never said it was a good idea for me, him, or anyone else. But he also clearly stated he didn't want to be told of the legality issues because he already knew about them. Which tells me he is already fully aware of the legality as well as the safety issues. At that point the best we can do is give him the info he's looking for and help him be as safe as he can.

It's not a matter of my setup "working out". He asked why his seat leaned forward, and I told him it's because the seat is mounted too far back. In the pic it looks like the back of the plastic is hanging off the rack. My sister-in-law's husband has a 14 400 HO with the same rear seat and his is flush with the back of the rack. That's on a 400; the 850 has to be as big or bigger. His passenger is sitting almost as much on the real seat as he is.

Every ATV trail around here I've been to has people riding 2 up on 1 up ATVs. The ones I haven't been to but have looked at their Facebook page, has picture after picture of 2 people on 1 up ATVs. I would rather see people riding with a rear mounted seat than just sitting behind the driver and holding on to them or, what I really can't stand, trying to hold on to the rack. Point is, people are going to do it so it's best to help them do it as safely as possible.

I have a mild trail at my house and live on a gravel road. So I got mine for that when the kids were smaller. But I have 2 friends each with trails that has varying difficulty, and I won't take my 13 year old now that he weighs as much as he does. On mine, when you get a person with a good deal of weight in the seat it makes the steering very heavy and hard. If you have power steering that might be negated.

I, myself, am currently in the market for a 2 up but no one has anything in stock...and I mean anything.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
He’s talking about taking another adult on trails in Quebec. Never ridden there but I ride Northern NH right on the border of Quebec. It’s rugged terrain! You just said it yourself that even riding with a 13 year old is dicey. I understand your trying to help him but I and others were as well. Sh*t happens quick and sometimes violent. Just yesterday my son and I came across a Mustang that tried to pass a car uphill on a corner, lost control, and head on into a truck. Whole front end was gone, engine in street along with driver. His wife mangled in what was left. Both dead! When you push machines beyond there intended purpose really bad things can happen. I just don’t think it’s worth it. Don’t wanna tell you or OP what to do but I believe it’s documented that most Atv fatalities are from riding 2up on a 1up.
OK rant over!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts