Polaris ATV Forum banner

Appearance mods

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  08TouringLE 
#1 ·
I have highlighted the names on my Model T and my wife's 550, removed all of the PC "dumbass" stickers to give both machines a "cleaner" look, and made my own detachable flag holder.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice idea with the air tool coupling for the removable flag idea!

I also like the highlighted Polaris logo's on your touring..... was that just paint and patience?

#8 ·
Those are 2 fantastic looking rides right there, great job!!

Brilliant idea for the flag :applaus:

#9 ·
Thanks for all the good compliments on the names and the suggestions about the keys. I have had them turn off the ignition once or twice. I don't leave them in the ignition when trailering so that is not a problem. I will have to rethink MY keys, one is for both the lock on my trailer tongue and my receiver ball mount. The other is for the locks I use to secure the ramps/side rails on our Aluma trailer. I also carry a spare key for my wife's machine and she carries one for mine. I figure the chances of loosing both sets of keys on the trail at the same time are pretty remote.

As for the highlighting, I used a piece of "automotive" grade self stick vinyl my local Carquest got from one of their suppliers. I believe it was the people they get their pinstripping and paint supplies from. It's very similar to the stuff that was used to put "racing" stripes on vehicles. It's designed for the outdoors. I removed each piece of plastic and thoroughly cleaned it to remove any dirt, residues,etc. I then cut a rectangular piece of the vinyl slightly larger than the letter I was covering. I applied it to the plastic and "burnished" it on using a soft cloth. Finally, I traced around the edge of the letter with a very sharp X-Acto knife. I "burnished" it one more time afterwards. It is time consuming, but the raised lettering made it easier to trace. I only did the letters on the back of Jena's machine as the ones on front are recessed and I'm not sure if I can do it and have good results. I will eventually try. If you decide to do this, make sure you get excess material, 'cause you will make a few mistakes. I also have enough left to redo several letters if they get damaged.

I later replaced the blue oval emblem that is missing from the plastic right above the name

Thanks again, guys, for the Kudos.

Here's a closer shot of the front...AND I have replaced that winch cable, it was for using with my plow at the time!!

#14 ·
As for the highlighting, I used a piece of "automotive" grade self stick vinyl my local Carquest got from one of their suppliers. I believe it was the people they get their pinstripping and paint supplies from. It's very similar to the stuff that was used to put "racing" stripes on vehicles. It's designed for the outdoors. I removed each piece of plastic and thoroughly cleaned it to remove any dirt, residues,etc. I then cut a rectangular piece of the vinyl slightly larger than the letter I was covering. I applied it to the plastic and "burnished" it on using a soft cloth. Finally, I traced around the edge of the letter with a very sharp X-Acto knife. I "burnished" it one more time afterwards. It is time consuming, but the raised lettering made it easier to trace. I only did the letters on the back of Jena's machine as the ones on front are recessed and I'm not sure if I can do it and have good results. I will eventually try. If you decide to do this, make sure you get excess material, 'cause you will make a few mistakes. I also have enough left to redo several letters if they get damaged.
Thanks... may have to pick up some red to do mine (although recessed lettering on the front and bossed on the rear trunk) !!

#10 ·
you should do a quick right up and parts list for that removeable flag mount. I've got a ton of extra air hose fittings. That would be a great, and cheap mod.

#12 ·
Thorshammer...here is some info on the flag attachment device I made. The fittings are the cheapest 1/4" airhose fittings I could find at Home Depot. The flag I bought at a Harley Davidson dealer. It's designed to be used on an MC so it can handle ATV wind speed. About $15, I believe. The pole is one of those bicycle orange safety flags available at Wally World. I removed flag and cut the mounting plate off. I had to drill out the male fitting slightly to allow the pole to fit. I then put some JB Weld into it and pushed in the pole and let it harden. This was then threaded into the quick release fitting. The flag, I glued on using a hot glue gun and generous amounts of glue. Originally I had put a bolt through from the underside of the plywood rack extension on my Model T with a nut and washer on the topside. This was to allow me to tighten up the mounting if it loosened. I JB Welded the male fitting onto the bolt. This setup worked great for several years. However, with the modification of my "T" to add Presley's personal seat, I had to rethink the mounting. I bought one of those 10" steel strap "mending" plates, with the holes in them for screws, from ACE. I drilled out a hole to the same size as the threaded end of the male fitting. I attached the mending plate to my new rack extension with several bolts, washers and nuts. I used 2 washers and a brass nut to attach the fitting to the mending plate. The brass was used because the fitting has pipe threads so a regular nut wouldn't work. So far, so good. Does this answer your questions? Gary

#13 ·
I like the changes. and will probably go straight to something like that. like I said, I've got a bunch of fittings laying around so thats the easy part.

For those of you interested in doing this. Harbor frieght has the fittings and will probably be less than Home depot. Just an FYI.

#16 ·
the lovely joys of using web based photo sites. if the site changes at all the pictures don't show up anywhere else.

#17 ·
Sorry about the photo disconnect....I had problems a while back where if I sent out a link to pics I posted on Picasa, the recipient would be directed to Google+ and asked to sign up for it. When I tried to "break" this link I somehow deleted all of the links I had sent out previously to my online pictures. I probably had almost a thousand I had posted from the past 6 years of riding. I will have to re-upload these pics and post the link here. Give me a day or two to get this done......Gary in Westcliffe...Note that it seems Google has stopped linking Picasa to Google+.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.