Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was woundering if 27 itp mudlites big for an 06 sportsman 500. im want to order a set bet not sure if they will rub on the stablizr links. also do i have to set the rims to a sertain offset thanks

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
shouldnt be a problem as long as there the same width. as for setting your rims to a certian offset i dont understand what your refering to. theres no adjustment for camber or castor only the toe alignment can be changed if you buy new rims you can choose the offset of the rims of some manufactors.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Should be fine, I tried 27's on my Eiger a few years ago, and they fit great.

·
Registered
563 Posts
27 inch tires are a little much for a stock Sportsman 500 IMO.I had 27's on my 07 Sportsman 500 and there is a noticeable power loss and they are also hard on the belt.A clutch kit will help quite a bit.Do you want to know the offset on your factory rims?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i would thanks also if i wanted to make my new rims wider what do i have to do to the offset of the rims. and how do u determine the offset of the tires for example i saw an add that said the rimes have an offset of 4x3 what does that mean?????

·
Registered
563 Posts
I cant remember the factory offset right off hand but the 4x3 means the distance of the face of the rim in inches from the center of the wheel.Check this out it might make more sense lol. Quad and ATV Tire Mounting

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks a lot that eplained everything. so what size should i go than is the 27 because i dont want power loss

·
Registered
814 Posts
thanks a lot that eplained everything. so what size should i go than is the 27 because i dont want power loss

I would go no less then 26s. I had a Eiger 400, and was absolute fine for power. I would hate to believe your 500 would have any issues with it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
my stock tires are 26x8r12 front and rear are 26x11r12

This is what you posted:

thanks a lot that explained everything. so what size should i go than is the 27 because i dont want power loss

From my understanding of your post was you were asking what size should you goto, because you do not want the power loss of a 27" tire. Maybe take a little more time typing so it is easier to understand/respond to your posts. I'm guessing now that you meant that you were going to get a 27" tire, but didn't want any bigger??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no no u understood correcty i didnt know the 27 had a big power loss to them. this is the first time im buy a set of rims for my quad and i wanted to find out some info from other people. i dont want to make a $600 mistake. and thanks for all the info appreciate it

·
Registered
603 Posts
just run a more aggressive 26" tire.. Great tire nice and light too......Anytime you go bigger than stock size your gonna lose power to the wheels because of the reduced gearing effect. Clutch kit will mask the problem a little and gain some belt life, but bigger tires require a gear change to get the most efficiency out of your atv...

·
Registered
38 Posts
just run a more aggressive 26" tire.. Great tire nice and light too......Anytime you go bigger than stock size your gonna lose power to the wheels because of the reduced gearing effect. Clutch kit will mask the problem a little and gain some belt life, but bigger tires require a gear change to get the most efficiency out of your atv...
I am fixin to buy a new set for my 98 sporty 500, great info guys!! I think for now I will stick with factory size , just until I can geter lifted up a couple of inches ) Probably goin to invest in a clutch kit first though )

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put 27' on my 05 sportsman 800 and the front tires rubbed on my tie rods badly, On stock rims. I ended up getting aftermarket rims but i cant remember the offset.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts