Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a day of damage on Sunday. Somehow must have got a rock up in the wheel and pierced through the aluminum. Is the stock Polaris wheel able to be welded?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
That sucks! I have seen one other post on here about the same problem. If you had it welded would you trust it???? Check Flea bay I have seen them on the for about 80 bucks.

·
Premium Member
12,401 Posts
Sorry bro ur out of luck. Any reputable rim welder wouldn't repair that hole. The one thing that could be done is to back half it using a doaner rim.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry bro ur out of luck. Any reputable rim welder wouldn't repair that hole. The one thing that could be done is to back half it using a doaner rim.
Why do you think it's not possible or a bad idea?
My main concern is, is there any weird metal mixture that makes it difficult or impossible?
Honestly, where it's located, I'm not to concerned about a weld being strong enough. It doesn't seem to me that the area is that vital for strength integrity. Just needs to hold air and not fracture out any further. Maybe I'm wrong though?

I'm trying to save money because I also blew out my power steering, broke the cooling fan, jammed the brake caliper, etc. There was an incident. lol

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
ive seen xp wheels on ebay for $40-50. probably just as much if not less than what it would cost to fix that right.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes they are weldable.

I had a rock get in between my brake caliper and the wheel and put a hole in my wheel.

Clean it well and have it TIG welded. Done properly it will hold just as if you never did any damage to it.

R U in Pa???

I can do it here in my shop.

·
Premium Member
12,401 Posts
Why do you think it's not possible or a bad idea?
My main concern is, is there any weird metal mixture that makes it difficult or impossible?
Honestly, where it's located, I'm not to concerned about a weld being strong enough. It doesn't seem to me that the area is that vital for strength integrity. Just needs to hold air and not fracture out any further. Maybe I'm wrong though?

I'm trying to save money because I also blew out my power steering, broke the cooling fan, jammed the brake caliper, etc. There was an incident. lol
Sounds like a tough day out on the trails. You can get anybody to Jerry rig anything but doing it the rite way is what I'm taking about. Just think about it. Wheel balance. Integrity of the repair. Is this a part that u would want a band-aid type repair done to? Also I know automobile wheels get repaired all the time but these aren't automobiles. We run lower tp's and our rims are constantly subject to damage. In your case the only way Togo as far as a rim repair would be to "back-half" it and that's if the damage isn't to far into the rim. I agree with the other members on searching out a replacement rim on e-bay or the likes.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Any one who can't weld that is not a welder!!!!! They are a turkey shitter.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I'm in the cheaper to buy a used one than to pay to fix that one group. A good welder will probably charge you $60-80 to repair it. Used rims can be found easily for that or less.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I'm with the masses here. Unless you can get a buddy to fix it on the cheap for you, find a used rim and never have to think about it again. My .02

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Shine that rim up bolt to the wall in your garage and wrap you air hose around it. Looks cool and keeps the air hose off the floor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts