Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to mt magezine yesterday for a solo ride. The ice storm really did a lot of damage up there. Trees are down all over the trails. They are almost unrideable as of now. Just giving y'all a heads up if your planning a trip there. Update this post if you here of work days or improvements please.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Wolf Pen Gap in Mena is closed now due to the storm. The forest service said it could be early spring before it is opened it was so bad plus they are so short handed they don't have the man power to get it open in a timely manner.

Ronnie

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wolf Pen Gap in Mena is closed now due to the storm. The forest service said it could be early spring before it is opened it was so bad plus they are so short handed they don't have the man power to get it open in a timely manner.

Ronnie
I wonder how many other trail systems are in the same condition? I was thinking about going somewhere in Arkansas over the Christmas week. Brock Creek, Buckhorn, Sugar Creek, Lee Creek are areas I was considering. I guess it would be a good idea to check with the appropriate forestry office.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sugar is in the same area as huckleberry so it might be just as bad. Not sure. I really like the trail system there. I hope it's not cause that was going to be where I was headed this coming weekend. If I go I'll give an update on the condition. This really sucks though. Winter is my favorite time to ride in Arkansas

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
You can get on the Forest Service website and look but they usually have that stuff buried so deep it takes forever to find. Probably a good idea to call the district wherever you are riding to get an update. If they would let riders trim the trees out of the way it would be much faster but to help them you must have a chainsaw class but if you just want to cut fire wood you don't.

Ronnie

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can go clean up the trails all you want but you cannot call it an organized volunteer group unless you go through the chainsaw class. And don't take the wood home for firewood unless you have a permit. This is the most frequent citation they give out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sugar is in the same area as huckleberry so it might be just as bad. Not sure. I really like the trail system there. I hope it's not cause that was going to be where I was headed this coming weekend. If I go I'll give an update on the condition. This really sucks though. Winter is my favorite time to ride in Arkansas
Are you still planning on going to Sugar Creek this weekend? I would be very interested in a trail update.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well since the rain is coming I might go that way to kayak. Sugar creek offers some pure class III whitewater if it's up. With that being said, if there's some recent rain you need to consider the water level cause you cross the creek several times. I'll update either way

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mt magezine trails are all open as of today. It's pretty ugly but passable. It was sunny and 70 degrees here. Good times and a lot of people on the trails. I still don't know about the sugar creek trail condition

1 - 9 of 9 Posts