Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 05 polaris ATP 500 h.o. When the machine is in 4wd it works perfect. when the selector switch on the handlebars is changed to 2wd, it takes forever to get out of 4x4 and when it does, it sometimes locks back in automatically when accelerating or any other time when it's in 2wd. Could anyone please suggest a repair or solution to this problem or at least something to check for. Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
correct. when you put it in 4x4, it does not go into a true locked 4x4 mode UNTIL the rear wheels slip. there are sensors that monitor rear wheel slippage. if they slip any more the 1/5 of one wheel revolution, then both front wheels lock in together to pull you through, giving you true locked 4x4. as soon as traction is regained, the front wheels release and it goes back to 2X4 until you slip again. this keeps it easier to steer since you are not always fighting the 4X4 system to turn. when you are on the trail and in 4X4 mode, you machine could quite possibly be going in and out of 4x4 hundreds of times without you every noticeing it. it happens quite fast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Chevy, I had a ATP. Your gonna want to change the front diff oil. Run the bike to work the front end. then drain the front diff oil and let it drain for 1/2 hour to let out any filings. Make 100% sure to use polaris demand drive oil. The demand drive oil is non conductive. your front end is engaged by magnets, and if you dont change your oil alot, the filing will conduct electricity, and mess up the magnetic engage and disengage. The light on the dash will show in/out of 4x4. But the filings will trick the computer. So the sensor will think your in 4x4 but really your not or visa versa. I was told to change my front end fluid between every oil change. A quart of demand drive oil will change the front end at least three or four times. they dont hold much oil.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Chevy, I had a ATP. Your gonna want to change the front diff oil. Run the bike to work the front end. then drain the front diff oil and let it drain for 1/2 hour to let out any filings. Make 100% sure to use polaris demand drive oil. The demand drive oil is non conductive. your front end is engaged by magnets, and if you dont change your oil alot, the filing will conduct electricity, and mess up the magnetic engage and disengage. The light on the dash will show in/out of 4x4. But the filings will trick the computer. So the sensor will think your in 4x4 but really your not or visa versa. I was told to change my front end fluid between every oil change. A quart of demand drive oil will change the front end at least three or four times. they dont hold much oil.

That is some great info!! Thank You.. I am going to change mine ASAP...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys so i took the advice and changed the oil. Doesnt seem to have worked. where should i go from here? Also when i changed the regular oil instead of having 2 qts of fluid in the oil tank. i had way more fluid and it was almost the consistancy of water. i thought this was a sealed system? someone told me it was possible to be fuel that has leaked through the carb from sitting? any idea what all this liquid in the oil could be? antifreeze maybe? Thanks guys

·
Registered
483 Posts
It is possible that you have a head gasket leak if its antifreeze, check the radiator to see if its low. Also if the float needle and seat is leaking then yes it could be gas . What did it smell like, usually you can tell if its gas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
seem to be fuel.

The oil that came out was not milky. Usually that's the sign of antifreeze leek. The antifreeze level is normal looking at the overflow. It seems to be fuel. Just really thin with no real milky color i guess indicates fuel. How do i fix the fuel leak? the bike sits for a couple weeks at a time between rides.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The easy fix is to simply turn off the fuel valve after riding. Also check your air filter if its very dirty it could be running rich, thinning your oil with gas. If you know your carb is leaking when sitting it will need a rebuild, a new float needle and seat would be the problem fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
problem starting ranger

hi i have 2006 polairs ranger 500 cc when turn on key no dash lights come on but if i leave key on dash lights come after about 3 minutes.then starts makes clicking sound for about 30 seconds then im able to start it .what could be the problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts