Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for the detailed response. It's interesting reading. I'll bet you were in better shape after 700 miles than the Honda riders. I do understand the benefits of Honda reliability though. Best wishes!
And btw, I am giving a very hard look at the Kawasaki Brute Force 750. Japanese reliability, twin-cilinders and over 50 hp with EFI. More than enough for any trip. Would need spacers, though, but that's a minor thing. Will probably miss the EPS only.

Marcelo

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response. It's interesting reading. I'll bet you were in better shape after 700 miles than the Honda riders. I do understand the benefits of Honda reliability though. Best wishes!
And btw, I am giving a very hard look at the Kawasaki Brute Force 750. Japanese reliability, twin-cilinders and over 50 hp with EFI. More than enough for any trip. Would need spacers, though, but that's a minor thing. Will probably miss the EPS only.

Marcelo
the 2012's are going to have EPS but I am still sticking with Polaris.
today i saw what the problem is first hand. mechanic showed me what the problem is on mine, as he has it apart waiting for the new plate to come in that is under the valve cover.part number 8 in the diagram from the ealier post. I dont think it would take much to fix the problem for good. just a redesign in metal instead of plastic. or making the part as one piece.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm having the oil in the airbox issue aswell on a brand new 2011 850 X2. Just got done with the first ride (5.5hrs) and found an 1/8th inch of oil in the airbox.http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-new-members/13192-just-ordered-2011-850-x2-le.html

I took apart the piece where the breathing tube connects to the valve cover and cleaned teh oil out.
Could someone explain how this breather works? What is the point of the rubber piece with the spring behind it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Marcelo
the 2012's are going to have EPS but I am still sticking with Polaris.
today i saw what the problem is first hand. mechanic showed me what the problem is on mine, as he has it apart waiting for the new plate to come in that is under the valve cover.part number 8 in the diagram from the ealier post. I dont think it would take much to fix the problem for good. just a redesign in metal instead of plastic. or making the part as one piece.
Yes, after I posted I went to Kawasaki's site and found the news. They look good; they have an upgraded engine.

Thanks.

Marcelo

·
Registered
13 Posts
blown crank seal

I don't know if this is the same problem but I have a 2011 850xp and at 115km's i had a bad oil leak which turned out to be a blown crank seal. Dealer said it was caused by the vent hose getting plugged with ice and water from condensation and the vent cap supposedly has a filter that also absorbes water then freezes shut. Said it was a weird problem that should be fixed now. Welllllll, 20kms later and i again blow a crank seal as well as having oil coming out under the headlight. it is still in the shop now but i was told it was the same cause and that polaris has released a fix to this problem, something about removing the paper element in the cap but i think i am also going to drill a small hole in the low point on the hose to allow condensation to drain.
I run tracks on my bike and run alot in cold temperatures so maybe this is a special problem but still a pain.

marcm

·
Registered
829 Posts

Marcelo
Marcelo...I ride with a guy that has a Brute Force &, although it goes almost anywhere with the MudLites, I find it VERY uncomfortable, especially the steering. EPS would help but it still has a fixed axle. That thing would kill me on a long ride! The power is good though & if you are young & comfort is not important, it could work. If you got "flawless" reliability out of your 550, why not go there again? Granted, it won't have the power of a Brute Force though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Marcelo
Marcelo...I ride with a guy that has a Brute Force &, although it goes almost anywhere with the MudLites, I find it VERY uncomfortable, especially the steering. EPS would help but it still has a fixed axle. That thing would kill me on a long ride!
Thank you for the tip, Dbez. I'll have it mind and I will definitely ride one before deciding. I know Polaris is the most comfortable machine for long rides, no questions asked. Wished they got rid of all thes nuisances (though I think this oil think is more than a nuisance and it is shaping like a snow-ball). I guess the ideal ATV does not exist!

ATV's are HUGELY expensive in my country, because they are taxed imported goods. An ATV like mine, new, would go for U$S 20.000. You can buy a very decent car with that. So I tend to demand 100% reliability and 0 problems, specially if it is new. I don't use my ATV to fool around; mostly I do expeditions, some of them very extreme. That's what I want them for.

BTW, it would be great to organize an international trip someday. Yesterday I saw a documentary of 15 americans who did a bike trip through middle east. Well, it is much more peaceful here! We could organize a trip to the Andes mountains; the maximum altitude we have reached on ATV is 6.000 meters; almost the same as Mt. Mc Kinley's summit.

Sorry, I am rambling.

Thanks again!

Marcelo

·
Registered
829 Posts
I read about that Andes 700 mile trip in a quad magazine several years ago. You are living what most of us can only read about. Sorry, I guess I am drifting from the topic but your circumstances are interesting. Best wishes!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
compression rate

I measured the compression rate today and it is 125 psi in each cilinder. Importer says it should be between 210 and 250 psi, so I guess I am screwed. Anyone knows if this 210 - 250 figure is right??? Seems an awful lot to me....

They will be changing the engine block...:damnit::damnit::damnit:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Service Manual states: 210-250 PSI

·
Registered
225 Posts
I measured the compression rate today and it is 125 psi in each cilinder. Importer says it should be between 210 and 250 psi, so I guess I am screwed. Anyone knows if this 210 - 250 figure is right?

This is from the service manual for the 850 xp

Measured Cylinder Compression 210-250 psi (full throttle)

Compression readings will vary in proportion to cranking speed during the test. Smooth idle generally indicates good compression. Low engine compression is rarely a factor in running condition problems above idle speed. Abnormally high compression can be caused by worn or damaged exhaust cam lobes.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I measured the compression rate today and it is 125 psi in each cilinder. Importer says it should be between 210 and 250 psi, so I guess I am screwed. Anyone knows if this 210 - 250 figure is right?

Marcelo,
Low compression is usually caused by rings, valves, head gasket, or crack in the combustion chamber. Instead of changing the whole block, have they tried to troubleshoot the problem?

Did you follow the break in period instructions?

How many hours and miles/kilometers do you have on the bike?

-Dave

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm guessing that to see if the psi is 210 -250 at full throttle they would want you to pull one plug and run the engine off the one cylinder with the plug and give it gas to full throttle. You just turned it over but did not start it is the correct?

·
Registered
225 Posts
The way i read it you would have to if you wanted to be able to test it at full throttle. I would call your dealer and ask them some question about testing the compression.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts