Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellow Touring owners..I have a dilemma here.

I am looking to mount front and rear bumpers/brush guards, i'd prefer something nice and sturdy, something that can take a hit.

John at ATV guru can only build me a front bumper,..Her currently doesnt have the machine to construct a rear bumper that will fit the Touring model. This was very sad news as I was pumped to finally get a set of those beasts to mount on my ride.

The new Viking line is not an option either, again, they dont make a rear bumper for Touring.

So, as of now my only option is the polaris bumpers, which look pretty flimsy IMO.

Anybody out there with a Touring that has options for a sturdy rear bumper??:nixweiss:

·
Registered
234 Posts
What do you plan on hitting. If you want protection mount a dozer blade on your machine.

I have a touring and went with polaris. Why, cause I wanted a little extra protection and not any more weight. The heavier the bumper them more chance you have of bending the frame where the bumper mounts.

The "flimsy" polaris as you say will bend but it will also act as a cushion for your frame.

If you hit a tree at 20 mph damage will happen regardless of what kind of bumper you have.

The term is "Bumper" not "dozier blade".

·
Registered
234 Posts
I forgot to say one more thing.
A company that cannot make a rear bumper. That tells me they must not be a very good company. Their engineers aren't engineers, they must be copy cats.

The rear of a polaris touring doesn't have much area to mount up a bumper I agree. The polaris bumper isn't rock solid. i thought about welding in a strut but decided to try it out. 3 years and it is fine. .

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you plan on hitting. If you want protection mount a dozer blade on your machine.

I have a touring and went with polaris. Why, cause I wanted a little extra protection and not any more weight. The heavier the bumper them more chance you have of bending the frame where the bumper mounts.

The "flimsy" polaris as you say will bend but it will also act as a cushion for your frame.

If you hit a tree at 20 mph damage will happen regardless of what kind of bumper you have.

The term is "Bumper" not "dozier blade".

spare me the sarcastic comments. If you have nothing helpful to add, Ill pass on your input.

FYI, I do alot of rugged, narrow trails to go fishing, also, at one point I may consider mounting a boat rack on my quad, and therefore require a more sturdy rack.

Thanks,

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
x2 on the Polaris rear and front bumpers. Bought a set for the touring and a set for the X2 and love them!

Good to know, I have never owned the polaris brand bumper, In pics they appear weak in comparison to say the ATV guru brand. They may be my only option. I will check out the moose bumpers and any other suggestions that come up too though,

im planning ahead for once here, february and im already thinking summer riding lol

·
Registered
385 Posts
They used to exist, Atv-Guru's Father custom made one for me a few years ago. Sadly he passed away, he was a great guy to talk to.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They used to exist, Atv-Guru's Father custom made one for me a few years ago. Sadly he passed away, he was a great guy to talk to.
that thing is beauty. care to sell it lol, you'll make money on it haha

Thats what John was telling me also, his father used to make them, and now he has a waiting list for all touring owners that want rear bumpers. He was saying it could be months before they have the right equipment to make them.:damnit:

·
Premium Member
10,374 Posts

Thats what John was telling me also, his father used to make them, and now he has a waiting list for all touring owners that want rear bumpers. He was saying it could be months before they have the right equipment to make them.:damnit:
john is also a great guy to talk with. from my interactions with him he is a gentlemen. I remember seeing pics of that touring bumper and being blown back in my seat. john said that was the most complex bumper and his pops favorite one to build. if u look at the imitators bumpers u can see that they aren't as stout as the original GURU. the craftsmanship of johns welds is far superior to the imitators also. I think u should buy the GURU front and either wait on the rears to be built or buy Polaris's rear bumper. at least u will have the front covered and that is the more important bumper to have.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

john is also a great guy to talk with. from my interactions with him he is a gentlemen. I remember seeing pics of that touring bumper and being blown back in my seat. john said that was the most complex bumper and his pops favorite one to build. if u look at the imitators bumpers u can see that they aren't as stout as the original GURU. the craftsmanship of johns welds is far superior to the imitators also. I think u should buy the GURU front and either wait on the rears to be built or buy Polaris's rear bumper. at least u will have the front covered and that is the more important bumper to have.
agreed. my brief conversation with john was a good one. Its really too bad, as I said I was gung ho for guru. I just think it might look silly with a guru front and a polaris rear bumper.

any other bumpers out there??

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I forgot to say one more thing.
A company that cannot make a rear bumper. That tells me they must not be a very good company. Their engineers aren't engineers, they must be copy cats.
wow, this is a very narrow minded comment. Even Engineers need something to go off of. When it's an existing model they need the measurements to start with. OR the model itself so that they can build off of it to get the perfect fit. This is simple craftsmanship. and any Fabricator would know that these are common techniques used when making custom parts. Get the first on built. Then build a Jig off of it and get templates made of the different parts and then you can start mass production. But this is easier said than done. Because some times you have to destroy the original to figure out the templates. It's not as easy as just punching in some numbers into a machine and having shapes spit out. Not until after the first prototype is done.

Sorry I can't be more help to the OP. Were it me, I'd just build one if I couldn't find one that I liked that was strong enough. However, the Polaris front bumper I have is plenty sturdy for an ATV bumper. Remember, If I hit something hard enough to cause damage to that. I'm going over the front anyway so no worries on if it gets damaged.

·
Premium Member
10,374 Posts
Canadianatver try bison bumpers.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Canadianatver try bison bumpers.
thanks for the feedback. no luck with the bison or moose bumpers. It appears that those companies dont buid the rear touring bumper either. It must be a real challenge to build those.
:bam:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts