Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow after reading this guess I never thought of any of this. But then again if a thief wants something he will get it, he will put alot of work into it just like we did buying our toys. They also do not care if they damage the vehicle after all its not theirs. Besides all locks chains and the like are all metals and they melt.
Main Point if they want it they will get it.
Exactly! So keep your insurance up to date!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
low jack and 2 250 pound English mastiffs and 3 kawasaki covers..... my dealer said kawasaki is the lest sold brand in Washington so not many people want one

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got a red neck alarm a big white German Shepard that can hear a mouse piss on cotton balls.He has deterred one wood be thief. My neighbors love him don't know what I'm going to do when heis gone thou...

Get the overlap dog! That's the dog you get when your current dog starts to get old. Yes you'll have two dogs for a bit but he'll be trained well by the current dog.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I got a red neck alarm a big white German Shepard that can hear a mouse piss on cotton balls.He has deterred one wood be thief. My neighbors love him don't know what I'm going to do when he's gone thou...

Get the overlap dog! That's the dog you get when your current dog starts to get old. Yes you'll have two dogs for a bit but he'll be trained well by the current dog.
I could not agree more!!! We lost our Rott back in May... (While he was still with us) Last October we got a new dog... She is unbelievable, occasionally you will see the exact mannerism our Rott had... Brings a tear to my eye every single time.
CW

·
Registered
339 Posts
The shed I store my 500 in has doors but does not have a lock. I use several of the ideas listed... keep key separate from machine, log chain with heavy key lock wrapped around the frame (not somewhere they could unbolt it). This is mostly a deterrent as we know chains and locks can be cut. I feel my best defenses at this point are a watchful neighbor who can see the shed and keeps a notice on strange vehicles in the area as well as taking both a front and rear tire off when its going to be parked for more then a few days. I keep the tires int eh basement. Gonna be hard to move a sportsman away without 2 of the wheels, but I'm sure it could still be done. I feel better about it though.

I think I'm gonna add the padlock to the brake disc as well. Couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
829 Posts
It's horrible when you loose a dog. They become a member of the family.

As far as taking two tires off your quad every time you park it... I feel sorry for you that something that extreme is necessary. I'm on my quad almost every day and the wheel thing would be a real pain. Out here, a lot of people don't even lock their doors. Still I have insurance, it's peace of mind.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I got a red neck alarm a big white German Shepard that can hear a mouse piss on cotton balls.He has deterred one wood be thief. My neighbors love him don't know what I'm going to do when heis gone thou...

got two she is small but fearless!!!! she is a cream shiba inu worth almost as much as the quad! lol

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Locks and security devices just keep honest people honest. I have locks and cables, but the first thing I got was insurance.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Same here with the insurance, but who wants to go through the hassle of dealing with the insurance company lol.

My brother-in-laws best defense against theft is his 40 lb heeler that thinks hes 100 pounds. I would hate to be on the wrong end of that dog in a bad mood. I think I need to buy on of those.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
In my mind, insurance is the ace in the hole. I have it too. But its for AFTER the fact. I would just assume stop the theft before it happens. Personally, I would rather be defensive than offensive...

Face it guys, as said in one of the first posts, most crimes are crimes of opportunity, meaning if its quick and easy the thief will try to take it. But make it harder then the time they are willing to expend or take longer than they have the nerve for and you will keep your stuff. Multiple layers of protection do it for me. Alarms, cable locks, less accessible areas and locked doors.

CW

·
Registered
50 Posts
My old wheeler has been parked under the shedhouse for 11 yeares with the key in it no problem now i have the new one i can't keep up with the key because i take it out everyday be glad when th new wears off and i can let the dogs take care of it

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've got all 4 of my atvs chained together in a locked garage with a 25,000 lb truck backed up to the door. if they get past that they can have the damned things. like everyone has said, locks only keep honest people honest!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Paint it PINK and put a Barbie sticker on the side. Who's going to steal a pink, Barbie bike? LOL!
Yeah, but whose going to ride with a guy on a pink Barbie quad??? :cowboy:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Get a sign that says protected by smith and wesson if you can read this you are in range. Lol out here in Idaho everbody and thier goat has a firearm. Not to worried about someone taking my quad. I park mine in the back of my pickup truck and strap it down and put the ramps underneath the truck. Made a custom spot for it. Plus my truck is lifted with 35's good luck getting that out with no ramps.

41 - 60 of 247 Posts