Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After plowing snow for 2 hours my winch would become really slow then have no power right after then I couldn’t use my electric start. I had a spare battery so I installed it and it did the same thing so I parked it in the garage and it started next morning no problem I didn’t use a battery charger or anything and the winch worked fine and sounded healthy. Wondering what my problem could be if it’s the stator or a ground somewhere

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
You are using more amps running the winch than the ATV can produce.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Start out by putting a trickle charger on the battery when its parked. Start out with a full charge. Have the battery tested and see if its week.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
About the most amps the ATV can produce is 25 amps and that's at over 5,000 rpm. Your winch is drawing 85-125 amps every time you use it. PLUS YOU NEED AMPS JUST TO RUN THE ATV AND ANY OTHER ACCESSORIES THAT ARE ON.

Your fighting a loosing battle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery I’ve put in is brand new and the quad starts fine after sitting for a night and winch sounds healthy. I tested it and it reads 11.9 volts

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
A full charged battery is 12.8 volts. At 11.9 its 75% discharged. Did you activate and slowly charge the new battery before install? GET A BATTERY TENDER

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
You have not mentioned what make, model, year ATV you are using; other accessories on while plowing. As said, you are likely abusing/misusing the battery. 11.9 V is not good. Your battery is recovering, to some degree, after resting. Keeping a battery tender hooked up while sitting will help. as will keeping your plowing sessions shorter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s a 2000 sportsman 500 with just the winch and stock headlight I unplugged my led lights after the first time it killed it. I left it on charge overnight and I’m going to be doing some tests. I found one wire that’s short circuiting but I don’t know if that would be enough to kill a battery

·
Registered
34 Posts
One of the things I found with a Battery Tender kept on 24/7, it seems to shorten the life of my batteries over time, especially water filled type. The Tender's boil the water out in a short time, especially in the summer. I have all of my toys in the "Toy Barn" on one timer. I only allow the battery charging to happen during the summer from midnight until 6 am. This is the coolest time of the day and has extended the life of all my batteries. Cab-Over camper 1- 12v deep cycle, Toy Hauler 2- 12v deep-cycles, both Polaris quads, 700 & 800, my new Polaris General and a commercial 72" mower. Mowing is almost as much fun as a quad trip, well it provides a lot of relaxation mowing 6+ acres, with a beer.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
You need to get a 3 or 4 stage charger/tender. That's all. I keep mine on continuous when I'm not riding - 3 years now, no ill effects. Might be something with the batteries as well. Same with the 4 deep cell house batteries in my Class A MH (6 volt wet cells). No boil over - I check my batteries monthly, in two years I've had to add water one (less than 4 oz. total). If you are overcharging your batteries you need a different charger/maintainer. Of course you can continue doing as you are, it seems to be working for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts