Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make my 2011 Sportsman 500 street legal. All that is left is to install a horn. I was going to buy a ATV horn kit and install to my battery. However, my question is do they make a street-legal horn that doesn't need to be wired to the battery?

I really don't like to mess with wiring and I only need the horn to travel a few roads to get from my house to some trails. I was hoping a battery-operated horn existed that I could attach and unattatch when needed. I suppose I could attach one of those funny-looking bicycle air-horns, but I don't know if they qualify as street legal and I was hoping something smaller (and cooler-looking) existed. Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would also like to know how you are making it street legal here in the US, especially Pa..

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have no idea if these are "street legal", they are boat legal. Put one in a cupholder or holster of some sort.

Amazon.com: Tempo Air Horn 8 Ounce: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Innovative Lighting 545-2010-7 Yellow Hand Held Electric Horn: Automotive Amazon.com: Super Blast 7218 Pump Air Horn: Automotive

As far as "street legal", in Colorado to turn an off-road motorcycle into street legal we would have put on a high/low beam headlight, running light/brake light, license plate and horn. I have done this to a few bikes (last one was about 2 years ago) with no problems. I know this does not address DOT tires or turn signals, but any inspections I had to do with the local law/gov't passed. I wish they would pass that bill and let ATVs run on the streets in CO, under a 50 mph on highways and no interstate. All our quads meet these "street legal" requirements, same as we have done to motorcycles.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Street Legal!!!:biglaugh:
Not here in Southern Ontario....f..in cops do nothin but give ya a ticket every chance they get..But yet u can ride a piece of crap snowmobile down the street and thats ok..I say Bullshit to that!! Sorry just venting:damnit: oh yea snowmobiles have to have insurance and a plate .Atv has to have insurance and a plate too, but yet only one can use the road.. i dont get it .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love the idea of plugging a portable horn into the cigarette lighter. Does anyone know of such a horn on the market?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have no idea if these are "street legal", they are boat legal. Put one in a cupholder or holster of some sort.

Amazon.com: Tempo Air Horn 8 Ounce: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Innovative Lighting 545-2010-7 Yellow Hand Held Electric Horn: Automotive Amazon.com: Super Blast 7218 Pump Air Horn: Automotive

As far as "street legal", in Colorado to turn an off-road motorcycle into street legal we would have put on a high/low beam headlight, running light/brake light, license plate and horn. I have done this to a few bikes (last one was about 2 years ago) with no problems. I know this does not address DOT tires or turn signals, but any inspections I had to do with the local law/gov't passed. I wish they would pass that bill and let ATVs run on the streets in CO, under a 50 mph on highways and no interstate. All our quads meet these "street legal" requirements, same as we have done to motorcycles.
In Az. a rear view mirror is also required, tire change not necessary.

Fred

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
You'll have to check your state laws as to what is acceptable. I bought a horn kit,and ran the hot wire from the power outlet. Mounted the horn under the front plastic behind the radiator. Here it has to be a hard wired type of horn,not a squeeze bulb or portable air horn in a can. I do see folks using those types. As long as you don't get stopped your all right.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I use a boat horn, also good for deer on the roads or in the woods!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here in WY, the horn has to be audible for 200'. Need a mirror, two rear reflectors, one tail/stoplight, one headlight, Plate and Insurance. You also have to have a motorcycle license.
I dont see why you can't buy the $40 Polaris horn and wire a cigarette plug to it, but why not just mount it permanently? Easy to do and once done, you dont have to fool with it. I put one on my 800 touring AND one on a buddy's 500 Honda. (same Polaris horn).

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
go to Oreillys, by a small car horn, $14.00 I think, it will mount inside headlight pod, can wire it to cig plug wires and use a spring loaded toggle switch mounted on left lower part of pod to activate it, need aboput 1 ft total wire to hook it all up, its in out of the weather and will last forever Tom foolery, where do you live in wyo? Im in douglas, dont need a motorcylee licence for atvs any more

·
Registered
61 Posts
I live in Sheridan, but I DRAG RACE in Douglas!!
The statutes are a bit confusing, and I dont know what is the real answer, but I do read this..... (which seems to apply to public roads, not the trails)

Wyoming Trails - ORV General Rules & Regulations

TITLE 31
MOTOR VEHICLES

CHAPTER 1
GENERAL PROVISIONS

ARTICLE 1
DEFINITIONS

(K) "Off road recreational vehicle" means:

(I) A recreational vehicle primarily designed for off-road use which is fifty (50) inches or less in width and has an unladen weight of one thousand one hundred (1,100) pounds or less;

31 5 124. Off-road recreational vehicles; multipurpose vehicles; limitation on use; equipment.

(a) No person shall operate an off-road recreational vehicle as defined in W.S. 31 1 101(a)(xv)(K) upon public streets or highways except:

(C) Be operated only by a person who possesses a valid driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement pursuant to W.S. 31 7 109(d)(vi).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts