Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO ATV. In the past year or so, the original fuel pump went out and I've replaced it twice myself, and once by a local ATV shop. Now the fourth pump is out. I only get about 2-5 starts out of a new pump before it burns up. The main symptom is that the pump does not start when the key is turned on. There is no sign of overcurrent or anything like that. Does anyone have any idea what could be a place to start looking?!?!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Try an after market pump Carter 7000, Airtec E-8198 Napa NFP 72118. Look in the stickies under AK stews, Electronic fuel injection 101, he covers everything pretty well.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Have you also replaced the fuel filter, when you've replaced these pumps? Don't remember if that model has one or not.

·
Registered
181 Posts
How about checking how much voltage the pump is getting? Lack of voltage will cause the pump to work harder generating heat. How about the pressure regulator? It tells the pump when to turn off and turn on.When you turn the key on it should run for a second to build up pressure then turn off.I will make a guess and say that this is causing your pumps to run to long, and possibly overheating . I thought this model had a carburetor? Something to check, Ken

·
Registered
554 Posts
I vote for electrical problem. High or low voltage, bad ground, etc. Have you checked the voltage at the pump at different engine RPMs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How about checking how much voltage the pump is getting? Lack of voltage will cause the pump to work harder generating heat. How about the pressure regulator? It tells the pump when to turn off and turn on.When you turn the key on it should run for a second to build up pressure then turn off.I will make a guess and say that this is causing your pumps to run to long, and possibly overheating . I thought this model had a carburetor? Something to check, Ken
do you have any idea what it should be? i did check that there WAS voltage but i wasn't real sure what it should be. by the way, on each occasion i replaced the pump, it would work just as you said - turn the key and it spins up for a few seconds and then turns off. When it fails it no longer spins up. Its an EFI model.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I vote for electrical problem. High or low voltage, bad ground, etc. Have you checked the voltage at the pump at different engine RPMs?
i will. do you know what is nominal?
Don't know off hand. However you can download the manual for free. There's a link on this site somewhere. I would guess it should never exceed around 14 volts regardless of the engine RPMs. I don't suppose you have a problem with batteries or lights burning out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts