Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, someone should start an ATV m.p.g. list with all the variables like uphill and downhill, on flat dirt roads etc. That list would get interesting really fast and make the ATV manufacturers pay attention to m.p.g. ratings in the ATV industry.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You should email one of the magazines and see if they will do a mpg test. They would probably be the most unbiased on the subject. Not to mention they have access to all the machines any way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't forget to inculde that you guys would like to see how much mpg the ATV burns up as doing snow plowing too.

I don't really read ATV magazines that much due to being very busy and the only one I can think of is Dirt Wheels.

Which ATV magazine would be the best to e-mail and ask to see m.p.g. on every brand of ATV ?

Uphill, downhill, on flat surfaces, in the extreme hot desert, snowplowing etc.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Do not forget to have them test at wide open throttle. Here is a list of magazines I know of.

Atv Sport
Atv Action
Atv Industry Magazine
Atv Illustrated Magazine
Quad atv Magazine
Atv Rider Magazine
Atv World Magazine
Dirt Wheels Magazine - Funny thing is, if Dirt Wheels did a comparison Yamaha or Honda would always come out on top.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Dale ...

Guys, start sending the ATV magazines e-mails about doing m.p.g. testing to be done on all of the A.T.V.'s.

Maybe in the future, having m.p.g. stickers on brand new ATV's will be the norm with a small ratings chart ( uphill, downhill and snowplow etc. )

I am sure the ATV industry will begin to take notice in the same way brand new cars and trucks have a m.p.g. sticker rating on all of them at the dealership lots.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dirt Tracks TV program did a MPG test early this year. Ran several ATV's on two different tracks. One for max MPG's and one for fun. Used GPS for distance and speed and measured gas use very carefully. On the easy track they got much higher MPG's then I would have ever thought and on the trail section they got about what I would think is real world MPG's (based on my experience). You might be able to find the video on their home page.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The surprising results from the Dirt tracks program was that the big bore ATVs did just as good as the smaller cc bikes. I think the overall winner was Canam Outlander 650cc.

I noticed that my 800cc Canam outlander gets quite a bit better mileage than my XP.

Easy riding trails going up and down and riding in High range doing about 20-30 mph....At best you will get 20 mpg.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If we were worrried about burning gas and mpg's would we even ride at all?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If we were worrried about burning gas and mpg's would we even ride at all?
That is not it. Technology exists to make the m.p.g. go farther and the gas to last longer in the tank to the engine and out the exhaust pipe.

Polaris ATV Industries should embrace this technology and this would help hunters and fishermen ride longer and deeper in the woods in un-charted territory.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts