Polaris ATV Forum banner

ATV Model differences

11K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Russ C 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a way to tell the difference between models and years by visual cues??? Or a website?
I have an early model two stroke with an unreadable VIN stamp and its driving me crazy!!! Ive given the local shop 3 different tries and all are BAD! :bam:
Thanks peeps!

#4 ·
I like this game...... guess what I have? :postpic:

I'll go first..... 1995 Trailboss 250??

#9 ·
there is also an engine stamp that will at least narrow down the year and then if you can show us pics then we should be able to come up with the model . Kinda weird that they would be worn off or was it on purpose ( i sure hope not ) , if you got a title with it , it would also be on the title .
I have also done the paper and pencil rub trick and the #'s will come forth , sometimes they are just so camouflaged you can't read them .
Give us a try , we will figure it out .

#12 ·
I think what you have is a 06 trailblazer 250 with some creative welding work on the rear- I dont remember that stuff on any polaris trail blazer (could be wrong though on that)

maybe 06 because of the yellow springs which were unique to the 50th anniversary edition - or the springs were replaced or painted - I see spots of red on the bottom of them

if it's an 06 the gas tank must have been replaced as the tank on the 06 was black not white

the vin is stamped on bottom of driverside frame up front, might be able to see it still - go check

its definitely a trail blazer 250 though - grips on it say its a late 90's model though but could have been replaced.
looks like the dash / ignition was painted so that probably means the springs were painted so they were red, makes it a late 90's model

the brake master on handlebars is aftermarket - they never made a clear white one

whatever it was, it looks like someone used it as crab trap bait

needs a frame off resto

tires are backards as well - tread pointing in wrong direction

thats my best guess -

#15 ·
Yeah, I call it the Franken-ride! My Father-in-law picked it up without letting me take a first look at it and of course, I never turn down a project, so here I am!
The rear rack is anything but factory!! It's conduit that was twisted and turned to become a useable rack (quite the ingenuity). It has 3 layers of paint, the final being a shade-tree-windy-dusty-day camouflage scheme that I'm trying to make disappear!
I've tried to interpret the frame VIN 3 times now and all three have failed. It looks like it was "printed" with a dot-matrix into the metal!! HAHA
Maybe a pic and you all can try your luck in decyphering it?!? I'll try the pencil scribble first (GREAT idea!!)

#23 ·
Not worried at all that its stolen...picked it up from the electric co-op rep out here where we live. He's a good 'ol boy (older man) and he used it to tool around on his farm.
Raz, I'm right next to Fort Hood, in Gatesville. A few more hours south of you.
Those should be the only numbers I need. We needed it to give the Polaris shop in Waco in order to get a new rear shock...speaking of which, this one has a Bilstein on it. Was that a Polaris OEM item?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.