Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes hello to all i have a question u see my atv will be running and lets say i go on down the street to my host-dad's house and i will be cruising along and then all of a sudden it will cut out i mean the throttle is non-responsive and then at times i dont know it will catch on and then rev up, and some times it will even turn off while going 20-30 mphs. so i dont know if it is the ignition coil or what since it is the only thing left on it that isnt completely brand new im talking about solenoid, starter, stator, throttle cable, hell if really want to say the whole engine is new as well as i recently just put a new crankshaft rod and piston in it as well,........... well about a year in a half ago.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
RUBEN

·
Registered
96 Posts
could be using up all the fuel in carb and if blockage in the line or filter it will not recover quick enough. start with that. it could be your coil as it heats up. What kind of bike is it? This may help as others may have expierienced it as well.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
State - Model / Year / Size (cc).... may be part of the ECM recall, as simple as a float/fuel delivery issue or a wire grounding issue...... :dunno:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm gonna guess 95 scrambler

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i believe he has a older 2 stroke scrammy....a mid 90's....i have talked to him before...he has done a ton of work to it....I believe he just rebuilt carb also...plugged the oil tank and pre mixes....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yes al53 is correct ecept for the oil injection part i did not get to plug it up so i am running that part it is a 95 scrambler 400 and i have just about new everything even ignition switch/key and lh switch as well like i said in my post everything new but the ignition coil

·
Registered
102 Posts
is the throttle cable hanging up or the mechanism actually pulling the slide/butterfly? I would double check your electrical connections and make sure nothing is rubbing itself through and grounding out. Does it just slow down to a stop and stay running and your throttle does nothing?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes it is working the mechanism and actually pulling my slide up and down double checked all electrical connections hell tripled checked and no sir it actually shuts off and then after it shuts off i will go ahead and restart it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay well an update o replaced the ignition coil and the in-line filter but still doing the same old thing still stalling on me,please help if anyone can i have read on the forums that the petcock valve can cause this to happen because of some sort of diaphragm is this true
THANKS
RUBEN

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well okay so an update i think i found the culprit so the other day i took out the crankcase plug and i found little itty bitty pieces of metal so it got me thinking the rings must be going bad, because anything else it wouldnt start. Right so today i finally had some time (been over run with graduation parties) i took it apart and low and behold i only have 60 lbs of compression with the carburetor off, shoot im surprised the son of a gun even starts well needless to say the rings have been ordered and are on the way.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so i thought an update was in order so i purchased a new battery because my old battery failed the cold cranking load test, so i said oh what the heck i minus as well replace the voltage regultor on it, right. well to do so on my machine i had to drain the (2stroke) oil tank. so when i finally got it all back together i had to bleed the oil injection pump, but guess what? i broke the freaking bleed screw. so i said screw it i will just pre-mix my fuel and in doing so i had to drain the fuel that i had in my carb right so i did that by turning it upside down(the carb) well when i got it all put back together my carb was leaking like a siv i mean like a steady stream of fuel, so i then tore my carb apart and watched a video on youtube about float adjustment and how the the float arm had to be something around 22-24mm mine was more like 30-33 mm. so i put it all back together and voila all of its problems are cured, no more loss of power / stalling while 1/4 to full throttle , which i find a little weird to tell u the truth how could it be acting like its starving for gas when it was getting way to much gas. However when i took off the oil tank i went ahead and screwed in the rev limiter. i had a new one plugged in but had it just laying on top of the oil tank so i dont know if that had anything to do with it o or not but i am happy, although sometimes i still get a backfire or two but i think thats from me flooding the engine because i want/expect my machine to start up a lot quicker than it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts