Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be a good idea to create a "ATV Oil, Lubrication & Filter" Forum Section..... for the weekly to twice weekly oil, filter and other lubrication questions, comments and concerns!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
YES,YES and YES.
I am doing an oil change this weekend (my first on my own) and wanted to try something other the Polaris brand. I have sent PM's to forum members with NO response as to what is recommended for my 550. (as I am NO mechanic) and could benefit from experienced back yard mechanics opinions.
Knowing that certain topics get posted WAY to much I am hesitant to clutter the forum with "another question".

If this sub-section existed I would already have all the products I need, ready to go for tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good information...... but not what I was asking for. I was asking if the moderators could add a Section in the "Polaris ATV Technical Discussions " sub-section area (Found Here: http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/ ) dedicated to Oil, Filters and other lubricants. Since there seems to be a weekly or better.... "what oil or what filter do I use" question, a dedicated forum section may be a good idea.

To the others, Thank You for your support, I feel it would be a useful area to coral all the Polaris vs. Others Oil threads.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Great idea Matthew!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I think a sub forum for oil..lube info would be great...

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Well, I got some info from a forum member as to what oil and filter to use for my 550..
I Went to wallmart,Canadian tire and carquest autoparts and none of them have mobil1 0w40 or filter..None of those stores even had 0w40 oil in any brand.
Any canuks know where to get this oil in Ontario???

Could add a (where to buy section) as a sticky for Canada and US.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
YES,YES and YES.
I am doing an oil change this weekend (my first on my own) and wanted to try something other the Polaris brand. I have sent PM's to forum members with NO response as to what is recommended for my 550. (as I am NO mechanic) and could benefit from experienced back yard mechanics opinions.
Knowing that certain topics get posted WAY to much I am hesitant to clutter the forum with "another question".

If this sub-section existed I would already have all the products I need, ready to go for tomorrow morning.
Did you try using the 'search' box? It can be tricky. But using it usually turns up several threads that either answer your question, or might have a link to another thread that does. Sometimes you have to get the right words in the right order. Even a Google search will often times bring you back to a thread here.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well, I got some info from a forum member as to what oil and filter to use for my 550..
I Went to wallmart,Canadian tire and carquest autoparts and none of them have mobil1 0w40 or filter..None of those stores even had 0w40 oil in any brand.

Try Royal Distributing,They don't sell Mobil 1 but do sell Amsoil 0w-40.

·
Registered
205 Posts
YES,YES and YES.

Let me google that for you

Couldn't resist!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
This is a good idea!!!!! I'll PM Bruce

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

Shell Rotella T 5W40 Synthetic will work also. Alot of guys around here run that oil with good results.

Ronnie

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a 13 550 & I use demand drive in the front drives, Rotella 5W40 diesel in the engine and Rotella 0W40 in the tyranny, and Shell 80-90 in the rear end. All are synthetic and have over 1200 miles and works well. I think the engine is quieter with Shell but this may just be my imagination. I get it at Canadian Tire or TSC when they are on sale. 5 liter jug is about $32 when on sale.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Dascrow could "Make it so"! lol

·
ATV Junkie
393 Posts
Done! Thanks for the suggestion!

If you run across posts that should be moved into this section, please report them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts