Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
That setup is bad azz. Yeah man I mis IHI he had some good ideas and prospectives on things. Hopefully the powers that be lift the ban on him. I'm sure he pops in now and again :D.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Do you know where he got that rear plow? That thing kicks ass :)
That is quite a bit of snow to clean up, where was that at?
Pretty sure he fabricated it,.......send him an e-mail

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know where he got that rear plow? That thing kicks ass :)
That is quite a bit of snow to clean up, where was that at?
He fabricated it, this is his second lighter version with a polyurethane wear bar. The first rear plow was on the heavy side.

Iowa

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I emailed him last night to get more info since that looks like a kick ass set up for serious snow moving, he said it would've taken forever to try and windrow 1 or 2 passes then spend 30 minutes working on cutting down windrow as deep as it was then he sent some pics of his old rear plow and newest plow he put in that video. Guess the first was too heavy duty and will be regligated to dirt/gravel grading and use this lighter version for snow. Said the heavy one cut thru snow better and cleaned perfect first pass but required an 80lb bag of concrete on front rack to offset weight cantalevered behind machine so it would steer good when back plow was in the air, new one doesn't require that.

Here's links he sent
10ga metal 76" long that got a 12" 90* bend on each side
6' chunk of 2x2x3/16" angle for back brace stiffened

Then he slotted the urethane bolt holes to adjust for wear over time so it has 1" slots where each bolt goes thru.

Cool to see guys doing stuff on their own vs waiting for after market to do it for them, wish there was more of these kind of projects guys would post up about on here vs the same redundant which winch, which plow, which tire that seem to make front page of new posts everyday.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rear Plow?

I never understood a rear mounted plow? How in the world would you use one to clean a driveway. If you had 2 foot drifts you would have to drive over them to then do what? You couldn't even push snow into a pile. I will keep my front 60" and be done in no time.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I never understood a rear mounted plow? How in the world would you use one to clean a driveway. If you had 2 foot drifts you would have to drive over them to then do what? You couldn't even push snow into a pile. I will keep my front 60" and be done in no time.
You have much to learn about the snow removal game grasshopper, this is the set-up he uses. Rear plows are an accessory and ideal for cleaning down to surface, cleaning quickly as it helps scrap up/catch what gets past front plow, allows zero shoveling since you can go within an inch of garage doors if you want.

Front plows only is like a 2wd quad, yeah they work and you can do alot with them. Adding a rear plow is like adding awd, it makes it better for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Maybe I am missing the point. Always willing to learn. Couldn't you just add down pressure to the front if you wanted a better scrape. I have seen these for pickups also and don't see the time savings. Seems like you wou o d have to push into the pile twice. Once with the front blade back up push the rear plows snow with the front blade into the pile. Then back up for another swipe.

On a positive note I always enjoy when somebody wants something and fabricates it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
With back blades it's just there to scrap clean and pick up stuff left from front plows tending to float over surface, even truck blades float and they're 800 lbs or more.

Why would you push into a pile, lift both blades, back up 8' and replow the little bit the rear plow caught when all you do is back over that pile to the beginning of another long run, and then pick it up with the front blade on next trip into the pile. You would only have to dick around 1 time, and that's on the final push, but by then your not using the back plow anymore anyhow since your just scrapping trailings.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would like to see that plow my 600 ft. driveway with two inches of wet snow...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Front plows don't back drag, atv, truck don't matter, they just aren't designed for it.
Pull/rear plows are an excellent addition just like using wings or boxing in your plow to help speed things up and leave a nice job behind when your done.
Not all situations would benefit from a rear plow, a long country lane driveway and wide open spaces, probably wouldn't use it.
Guys that do alot of residential work, it's almost a requirments unless they like to shovel. You get up.close to deaden situations (like up against garage doors, up against retaining walls, etc.. and pull the snow away down to pavement. Front flow on atv/truck, same scenario you drive ip, drop plow, soon as you start going backwards, the attack angle of the wear bar on plow is backwards and that is what makes them float up off the surface vs digging down to it like when you forwards. So when trying to back drag with a front plow, you end up with a nice smooth hardpack whereas a pull plow would have it down to pavement.

This was back when he was doing trial and err, but perfect example of poor back drag by front plows, and how pull plow with pressure will scrap clean as evident by all the videos posted on this thread

·
Registered
737 Posts
I plow commercially with my pickup also do some driveways so maybe it is a wheeler thing. All the lots I plow the snow doesn't all go in one pile. You windrow it as you go, so you don't get to the same spot in the pole each time. If you are pushing north, each pass you usually move a little to the east or west, on each north pass so you wouldn't really be cleaning up the previous pile.
Maybe if I saw one in person or demoed one I would see the benefit and time savings.

I get the better scraping part, cuts down on your salt consumption, but that's why I thought mate adding down pressure would be a good idea.

As always too whatever works best for you. It's like the debate v plows or expandables whatever works for you.

Just to be clear (hard to get expression from text) I am not knocking your back blade, just curious and trying to learn something. By the way nice job on the fabrication.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I do like the fad work... I have done commercial plowing also... I think the more important thing to have on a ATV plow is wing hight .... My biggest issues is clearing snow and the weight of the snow in pushing .... I know 6 to 8 inches of powder is the limit for my 850xp to push more than a 100 feet and wet snow forget about it

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have always had a hinged type back drag bar on all my plows. I had to custom make one for my wideout for pulling snow away from garage doors and such. Almost as good of a scrape as going forward. At least in short distances 30 ft or so.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I worked with a guy for decades helping with snow removal so I know what your getting at, but one thing I did see first hand is a box blade and zero windowing was far faster and more efficient than windrowing, yes even on long pushes with deep snow. One of the 8'6" plows we used had turkey wings (google it) another was a v plow. Me personally, I would buy a straight blade before taking a v blade for free, more parts to go wrong, horribly inefficient when compared to same size straight blade that uses box ends or pro wings.

We were able to shave off so much time from the commercial route we had once we boxed in the straight blade and used the v plow for whatever, we were able to sign up more commercial accounts to service, as a whole the box ends and straight blading reduced our time on site about 30% each lot.

Like I said every storm and every lot/drive gets its own way to attack it to make time, but the one thing I found yrs ago that windrowing is the least efficient way to move snow. Until you box in your truck plow or use wings and straight blade, I'll never convince you, but believe me, it is lol. Which is why we signed up more places in same time we used to plow old school style.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Often thought about buying/installing the back drag attachment to the front plows but ran away from commercial work for hire, getting out of the truck to shovel is a waste of time and had to deal with alot of folks that were your best friend when you showed up after a storm and then didn't want to pay when clean. Didn't matter if it was set up on a pay when done/cod, if it was billed weekly, bi weekly, monthly; check was always in the mail but more often then not always turned into a small claims decison at end of the season or just liking your wounds.

Here's a few more to enjoy

The king ding a Ling of pull plows, the Ebling pull plow

Not best but talking about dealing with windrows, atv/truck you can only roll it so many times before you have to stop and deal with it, which when you realize it's all the snow in one row from what you cleared, well shoved to the side anyways, you still have to place all that snow. We just found our yrs ago, when you have the opportunity to deal with all that snow on each pass 1 time by utilizing boxed blade or wings, you save alot of time overall

There's a reason all plow manufacturers offer built in containment, it speeds things up, straight blade only was cool back in the 40's. But when time is money, you set up with tools that get you in and out fast. I realize that don't pertain to retired Ray who enjoys doing his driveway for fun, but most folks wanna get it done quickly and do batter things.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have a wideout so it has movable wings you can scoop them forward like turkey wings and you can definitelycarry more snow. I guess I would have to try one on my route to see how much faster a pull plow is. I know going to an expandable from my straight blade saved me a lot of time. I know on lots that I cant wind row it because there is no curb on either side of the lot take much longer than lots where I can wind row it all to one side of the lot. You are also chasing all the snow that spilled off of your blade and having to clean that up. No matter the size or your wings or depth of your box blade it is going to fill up and spill over, making you clean up those trail offs. All my friends and family that are in snow removal always try to windrow than carry all the snow straight down the lot. Like I say though it is all about time and I would love to try one and see what I thought of it. I still know that even with a rear plow I would still have to get out and shovel. Even if yiu get within 2 inches of the garage door people are still going to want that removed or they will end up with a ridge by there garage door. You definitely would be able to get closer and reduce your shoveling time but not eliminate it. I feel if it was the best option I would see more of them around here, I haven't ever seen a rear plow in the st. Paul minneapolis area.

Luckily for me I can disagree about getting paid. All of my customers have always paid me. Bennett doing it for 12 years. I only had one guy who I sub concrtacted for that hosed me. However I have heard many stories from friends and family that have gotten screwed. I am getting pretty sick of it and am hoping next year is my last.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts