Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
The main issue when plowing with the ATV for me has been the weight of the machine... The plow can handle the snow just fine and the ATV has plenty of power but its not heavy enough even loaded with weight... When I plowed commercial very rarely did I have a issue with snow stopping the truck do to the snow weight I was pushing... Not to mention each snow fall has its know challenges.. Powder, wet , depth... Ect...

·
Registered
12 Posts
im enjoying this discussion as Im putting my plow on tomorrow and it will be my first experiencing pushing snow by myself. You guys are making it sound like quite a science (which i can respect) so maybe I need to do some youtubing on plowing basics!

·
Registered
66 Posts
im enjoying this discussion as Im putting my plow on tomorrow and it will be my first experiencing pushing snow by myself. You guys are making it sound like quite a science (which i can respect) so maybe I need to do some youtubing on plowing basics!
I did my first several plows this year up near Tomahawk WI.
There is definitely a science/ art to it.
Even more so with a manual shift Xpedition and a manual lift plow.
The last snow fall I felt like I was getting the dance steps right and things were pretty smooth.

Bet mom nature will throw a curveball and teach me that I don't know diddle!:)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Wouldn't call it science as much as I'd say there's a definate method to the maddness. I know weasel will back me when I say that spending 10-48hrs pushing snow each event, you quickly learn what makes its quicker and easier on equipment so your making more money and not repairing things costing you money.

Weasel, commercial accounts the back plow probably wouldn't do much good unless you had accounts with lots of docks that need cleared, only way I could see a pull plow commercially being viable is to use that Ebling setup since your essentially moving almost 2 trucks worth of snow with 1 truck allowing you to delegate the previous second Truck to do other places while you do the one now.

Residential, back dragging sucks at dead end obstacles, you drive into a freshly snowed driveway, hard packing your tire trails, then hard pack more as you maneuver back and forth back dragging to get room to finally back your truck in and push out, inevitably you leave a patch of hard pack snow that you now have to turn truck back around when your done plowing that drive, and plow the hard pack back up towards the garage, for example, and then start back dragging that now chipped up snow back enough to turn truck around yet again and do final push out so entire driveway is clear to concrete/asphalt.....utilizing a back plow, videos I linked above show how quickly you get in and out.

Like ya said, huge lots and snow placement options, we would still windrow, but I also or we would plow "relief" paths. Say the lot was 20acres, we'd blast stripes every 100-200' roughly straight blading, then go back and begin actual snow removal/windrowing, that way when windrow would just begin to become unmanagable, it'd hit that relief path and flow flat again instead of stacking higher. That way we could just keep windrowing.

But most our stuff had to have snow placed and that's where the wings, v, or box ends shine. You'll always have trail off on big snows, but they're quick clean up vs the typical way I see guys trying to plow and think they can windrow all day long and think nothing of fighting the now immovable windrow to make it manageable again lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So you push the snow out with a front plow then drag with a rear mounted plow to clean up? That might work but take 2 plows and twice as long. My point was there is no way you could clean an average driveway with 2 foot drifts with a rear mounted plow by it's self. The video shows an almost clean driveway already. Rear mounted mine sweepers don't work well and I don't believe a rear mounted snow plow would be much better. What ever you use plowing snow with a quad is FUN!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Rear plows for snow removal were never intended to be the only tool in the arsenal, yes there are some companies that make rear pull plows homeowners can slide into their receiver and pull it out, but those don't have down pressure so it's all weight, and they show videos of the person pulling snow out, lifting, then backing into that snow with plow down and shoving it into a pile. That scenario is laughable at best, but it is possible.
SnowSport 180 Utility Plow | Rear Hitch Mount SUV Snow Plow

For anybody doing residential stuff, using a pull plow in addition to the front plow, it's leaves a cleaner job, much faster and very little to zero shoveling involved. Your "2 foot drift" isn't even a consideration, what do you do when your 200' driveway has a 2' drift 2-6' long, we all.here know for a fact your not going to keep the plow on grade and just merrily push thru like nothing is any different than if it were only 2-4" deep. So front plow/rear plow, you adjust your strategy, and fwiw, yes a guy could easily only use a rear.plow in your scenario, would just have to modify the end game, where and how you stack it.

If you like shoveling, rear plows aren't for you
If you have no dead end areas to remove snow from, rear plows aren't for you
If you don't like getting right down to pavement, even if tracks of hard pack exsist, a rear plow isn't for you

But
If you do much dead end work, garages, loading docks a rear plow will work for you
If you like to leave clients with the cleanest surface possible so burn off is fast, a rear plow is for you
You want to increase efficencey because front blades do float up and leave snow behind that requires a second pass to try and get that layer up, then a pull plow is for you.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts