Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

Looking to buy the 2013 400 or 500. Its $500 difference and was wondering if i would regret getting the 400. Was hoping to save the $500 and maybe get a plow or ger back seat/storage....

Also, i am noticing the sale this year is $1100 off, isnt it usually $1500 off, or will that deal come again in June or so?

Thanks all

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome and FWIW, I am on my second 400 H.O. and though I don’t plow and always ride alone, I feel that the 400 has more than enough power for my needs. There is only a 43cc difference between the two engines. If you’re looking to drag race then you might want to look at something like the 800 though.

I know in the U.S. the rebates say up to $1000 off on the Sportsman right now, I’m not sure if they ever offered more, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last year my parents got the $1500 rebate in Lindsay ontario. Looks like o ly $1100 this year

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
The resale value is greater on a 500 then a 400. This is what I've read on this forum. And there is always the old addage bigger is better or u never hear someone with a 500 saying "I wish I had a 400".

·
Registered
21 Posts
I faced the exact same question a few months ago. My main use for the machine is for snow plowing. I bought the 400, and am happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The 400 is an awesome machine. Good power and super smooth engine. My brother in law has one. I raced him on my old 2001 500 ho. My 01 had 26 inch tires that were a little heavier than stock. 0-50 mph I only pulled a half length ahead. The 400 gets a little better mpg too. If you don't need to be roosting dirt all the time the 400 will suit you well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had the same question when I bought mine. What everyone told me is that the 500 is the number one selling machine, period. It will get me the fastest, easiest and best re-sale down the road. I'm looking to upgrade to the 850's already, and the rebates right now are $1100 on the 850's and $600 on the 550's, not sure on the 500 & 400's.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
You will not regret getting a 400, they will have just as much resale as a 500.

I plow with mine, only shortage i have is with traction, just need more weight. A tire upgrade will need to be done eventually.

Mine was $5,499 for the 400HO. The 400 is 455cc and the 500 is 498cc..

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Father in Law has chains on all four when plowing

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
my $.02, get he 500, you never hear someone saying they wish they had a machine with less power. As they are identical in size there is no point in going smaller.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
With this mentality ^ you should just get the 800 lol.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wish I would have, you'll never hear me say "I wish I'd have gone smaller"

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just bought a brand new 400 a couple months ago. Personally, 40+ more cc is not worth the extra $500. The machine is the exact same except the motor. Use the $500 for goodies to put on it. I got a winch when I bought it and just threw on some front and rear bumpers the other day. Going to get Ricochet skid plates soon. Other than making the transition from shaft drive of Honda to the CVT of Polaris I cannot say anything bad about my machine. I did already get a hole in a tire and had to replace it though. That pissed me off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
When I bought my 500's the price difference was $350 and the 500's definitely have a better resale.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My Dad's buddy has the 400HO 2011. I bought the 2012 500 HO the next year and I am VERY glad I got the 500. I Have ridden both and I like the 500 in every way even though they are essentially the same bike. Just seems like it should only be available in the 500 considering it just feels all around perfect (power to weight ratio) compared to the 400. I am now considering getting rid of the 500 and getting the 550 LE but honestly it will be hard because my 500 does everything I ask it to do and then some. IMO get the 500 its worth the extra few hundred bucks!!!!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
With this mentality ^ you should just get the 800 lol.
I would love to, but cost vs performance vs fuel economy settled me on the 550 XP. The 800's are nice machines, but where I ride and the way I ride, I don't need an 800. but can use the extra clearance and towing of the XP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts