Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after almost flipping over backwards yesterday taking the ATV off my truck. I think it's time to get a new ramp or ramps. Right now I have 2 individual ramps that are 18" wide by only 66" long. It's pretty steep for my 2007 Toyota Tundra.

So what would you reccommend? I want something that can fold up and store under my ATV while transporting. Any suggestions would be appreciated and also any place that I might find the best deal. Thanks

·
Registered
978 Posts
ebay, fleet farm or even walmart

·
Registered
668 Posts
Try checking this place. Tri-Fold ATV Ramps - Starting At $89.99!

I have had several over the years. My favorite and current set is no longer offered at Tractor Supply (or at least online). The set I use now is a bi-fold that can be separated in the middle. Each ramp is 24" wide, about 7" tall and has a capacity of 900lbs each. They came with the straps to keep it secure to the truck. I drive my RZR into my 8' Silverado bed with no problems. They fit under a full size atv when transporting. I found the taller ramp the better. If you have a short bed truck and leave the tailgate down just run a ratchet strap through the ramps so they can't slide out. You might want to try Craigslist too. The taller ramps are on now and then when people don't need them anymore.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I like the tri folds as one side cant shit out on you that way...been there done that with 2 individual ramps (planks) only thing I don't like is the trucks get higher every year it seems and the ramps don't! making a steep slope to go up or come down :( forget what brand I have now but there pretty good, I throw them under the bike when its loaded and tie the dead end of the tie down strap around a rung just in case...but they never move... my advice find the longest and widest you can find trifold! oh and when I unload my bike I throw a lock and cable thru the ramp and lock it to the truck tie downs so they don't wonder off well I'm away riding

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
X2 on Tri folding ramps. They can be locked down tight to the tailgate and they don't move like individual ramps.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Either get the longest ramps you can find or get a trailer. Trailers you don't have the super steep loading that going into the bed of the truck does. Even with a trailer I built 8' ramps for it. but mine are WAY over built for an ATV. the low guestimated with safety factor is 3200 lbs each.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Set of bi fold that r awesome we have made up here by some company their 250 bucks but they have a 1200 pounds and r 6.4 feet long. Very well made

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Off-Road Forums mobile app

·
Registered
2,339 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use bifold ramps and love them. Some things I did to my ramp though for extra caution was stud with small hex head self tappers for traction and also bought new rachet straps to go from the bumper up to the ramps so there is always tension pulling down to eliminate a ramp fallout

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Since I have a trailer I can get away with these cheapies from HF.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Either get the longest ramps you can find or get a trailer. Trailers you don't have the super steep loading that going into the bed of the truck does. Even with a trailer I built 8' ramps for it. but mine are WAY over built for an ATV. the low guestimated with safety factor is 3200 lbs each.
or put a winch on the quad and use it to load and unload.

·
Registered
729 Posts
X2 on the longest ramps , otherwise a nice 5x8 trailer can be had for around $1500 .
So much easier just putting down the ramp and your on strap it and you are on your way.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just have some 69 inch Tractor Supply Bi-folds. It makes me nervous every time but I have never even lifted the front wheels. I usually try to back up to a high spot so it isn's so steep but I have done it on flat ground too.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
If you plan on hauling your ATV in the back of your Truck (Which I do all the time) then you want a bi-fold or Tri-Fold ramp system rated at or above your ATV + You weight. Always err on the heavy side. I have used single ramps and they are not safe IMHO to load an ATV no matter how long they are as you cannot adequatly lock them onto your truck so they don't move. Buy a bi-fold (open in the middle but three folding sections) or a tri-Fold (with no opening in the center, ramps all the way accross) and make sure they are the width of your tailgate (or very close). Then all you have to do is put them on the tailgate and rachet strap (one) it from the center of the ramp to your hitch assembly and it will put it up tight against the tailgate and also down to keep it from moving.

Always wear a helmet when loading or unloading. Put the ATV in Low gear 4x4 and commit to loading. Lean forward when loading to get your CG forward and drive up into the bed or down. You may want to put some sort of blocking in the front of the bed to keep your ATV from smashing out your back windshield. Once again, once you start up or down don't stop or you risk bringing the front end up.

I have a short set of bi-fold with the center section open but they are the width of my tailgate. My 850 is 55" wide and I have no problem loading and I actually have to drive over the wheel wells a bit to get it loaded. A trailer is a better option but I haul my ATV several hundred miles and don't want the risk of another piece of equipment breaking down or the added fuel consumption pulling a trailer. Mine ride great in the back and I know it won't move once I strap it down on all 4 corners.

I think these are what I have but wish they had a bit more capacity. Amazon.com: Ramp Tri-Fold 51" X 82"-by-50 RAMP MIN.-751TF: Electronics

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Have soused a truck to transport my four wheelers since 2002. Recently bought an AlumaTrailer. I am 5x happier with the trailer than the truck. Loading is worry free, pulls like a dream.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts