Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After this winter, I felt I really took some years off the bike, getting stuck ramming snow banks hard to try and make room, and the constant forward to reverse shifting. I was thinking it would be nice to have a blower up front. I've seen a few online, but they cost more than the whole atv did. Has anyone tried mounting a regular blower or seen something out there a little less expensive?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
There's gotta be a way, and the reasons you described are why I don't run a plow on my atvs.

I priced out the snowblowers too and by the time it's all said and done its about 5 grand. I could buy an allis chalmers 720 with a heated cab and a butt-load of attachments for about half of that.

Reactions: Corbett1973

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a Kimpex 2008 48" snowblower that i bought used for 1500$ can. It came with a 13hp Honda GFX engine and the guy even put some home made electrical chute control. I use it with my 2001 Honda Rubicon..

This thing is a beast! It thrown wet snow to 30-40 feet. I dont regret my purchase at all, very happy! :)

I just need to buy tire chain for next year, because when I'm trying to remove big snow bank I dont have enough traction to go forward, my tire just spin...

You need to have a long or big driveway since the atv with this is the front is very long and it doesnt turn very well.

But a new quality one is 3-4-5000$.. try to find a used one

Attachments

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice rig, and good deal. I was thinkning of even buying a 48"+ blower and making my own rig. Does that lift up at all to turn around? or is it in the float position all the time?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
it looks like you can get a little lift out of the winch, but with that much weight and that little amount of angle on the winch line it's probably not much, and it's probably really hard on the winch/suspension to lift it. But looking at the picture I don't see why you couldn't modify a regular blower to mount to the front of an ATV. the biggest issue you'd have is finding one wide enough to make it worth it. Could probably set up two 24"-30" ones side by side if it really came down to it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
All the weight is on the little wheel of the snowblower itself, there is almost no weight on the atv. The winch easily get it up to move around and back up

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
it's hard to see in your pictures, but based on that description, there must be a pivot point forward of the casters, correct?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've thought about finding an old lawn mower snowblower and mounting it on the Glacier 2 mount I have. Have to figure out a way to mount a engine on the blower to turn the blower. Put some skids on the bottom of the blower so it would slide along the pavement. Might need some stiffer shocks/struts to hold the weight. Maybe put some medal flares on the sides to widen the path a few inches to get the snow removed so the tires don't hit if the blower is only 48in wide. I'm not sure how big of a engine one would need to run the blower though. Would a 5hp brigs be enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Toro 38381 18-Inch 15 Amp Electric 1800 Power Curve Snow Bloweri is best snow blower brand of 2015.. I like electric better than gas, but obviously, you need a long extension cord to reach around property. Works very well & reliably. Doesn't always clear to ground level, especially when people have compacted the snow by walking over it. It is easy to use & saves my back from shoveling.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you mount an engine for a lawn mower blower maybe you could mount the motor on the rear of the machine using the recievers hitch and then connect to the drive shaft of the blower. This might help put some weight in the rear.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My dad made his own probably 20 years ago. It had a single stage blower that he had found somewhere and hooked up a 10 hp tech. to it. The blower was at the front like most with rails running under it and attached to the rear hitch. He had some rubber casters mounted under the blower at an angle so when he backed up the wheels would lift it. I made a cab out of plywood and 2x2's with lots of plexi glass all around. It had a rounded roof and looked a lot like an old caboose. This was all mounted to a 1986 220 kawasaki 2 wheel drive with chains and lots of weight on the back. He never had a chance to perfect the castor idea as he took the dreaded prostate cancer and passed on. We sure had a lot of fun building though. Just had to share after seeing this post!

MIke.:veryhappy:

·
Registered
258 Posts
theres a few videos on youtube showing two push blowers stuck together side by side with there motors removed and somehow running off one engine... mounted on the front of quads.. be nice to see somebody on here get creative and make one..the boughten ones are so damn expensive!

·
Registered
826 Posts
My dad made his own probably 20 years ago. It had a single stage blower that he had found somewhere and hooked up a 10 hp tech. to it. The blower was at the front like most with rails running under it and attached to the rear hitch. He had some rubber casters mounted under the blower at an angle so when he backed up the wheels would lift it. I made a cab out of plywood and 2x2's with lots of plexi glass all around. It had a rounded roof and looked a lot like an old caboose. This was all mounted to a 1986 220 kawasaki 2 wheel drive with chains and lots of weight on the back. He never had a chance to perfect the castor idea as he took the dreaded prostate cancer and passed on. We sure had a lot of fun building though. Just had to share after seeing this post!

MIke.:veryhappy:
Mike, I'm very sorry to hear about your dad. My heart goes out to you and your family. I lost an uncle to cancer and he was a very kind man to all. Do you still have the quad?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks, He passed in 2003 and he also was a gentle sole. yes we still have it. My kids and my brothers kids used it while growing up. Still has the original tires on it. My wife still uses it when she feels like going along for a ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts