Polaris ATV Forum banner

ATV stopped.."eheck engine"

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Crazyhorse 
#1 ·
Today I was backing out of my barn to get my 08 Sportsman 500 ready to do its first oil change on it when I backed up about 3 feet and it quit on me. I turned the key and it kinda did nothing and said "Check Engine". I waited a few seconds, tried it again and it worked fine and has ever since.

Ice fishing is almost here and I dont want to be stuck 4 miles out on the bay and my motor wont start.

Can someone help me on this? What happened? I checked the battery and a few things to see if anything was obvious (im not very knowledgable on the mechanical aspects of these), and nothing was wrong. As far as the battery connections go, it seems like everything is hard to get to.

Thanks for any help you have.

#2 ·
just check to make sure battery cables are all snug and tight. wouldnt worry about it too much. i see your in michigan so you have the cold climate. i dont know if yours is an EFI or an HO but either way, when its this cold out, even with EFI the cold air is much more dense so sometimes you can get too much air molecues and get a lean fuel mixture before the EFI can adjust, thus shutting down the machine. best thing you can do is give your machine a minute or two to just idle when you first start it up so the EFI can get caught up and get the fuel mixture adjusted for the elements.

#4 ·
we had the same problem here last week when my youngest took my 850 to run the trash bin up to the county road. Quit on him. I ran it the next day with a few minute warm up period, and it was just fine. While it wasn't much below freezing at the time, I still think the EFI takes a minute or two before running to be happy.

#5 ·
Yea when its below freezing you gotta let them run for a minute or so, Ive had mine do the same thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.