Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first question i have is, can a sportsman 500 stock handle 27" Mega Mayhems. I do some mudding not super deep but sometimes ride very fast.

Also Which tires do you guys recommend. I want something that doesnt wear down easily but needs to be decent for mud. RIPSAWS or MEGA MAYHEMS

·
Registered
43 Posts
The first question i have is, can a sportsman 500 stock handle 27" Mega Mayhems. I do some mudding not super deep but sometimes ride very fast.

Also Which tires do you guys recommend. I want something that doesnt wear down easily but needs to be decent for mud. RIPSAWS or MEGA MAYHEMS
I would go with the mega mayhems! I have had mine for six months glad that's what I picked . Little rough up to about 10 miles an hour then smooth out. grate in the mud

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do u ride? are u hard on the throttle ever

·
Registered
43 Posts
How do u ride? are u hard on the throttle ever
Very hard on the throttle ...!! mud sand hard packed trails The only thing I can tell you is on hardback the back ends a little loose in the corners

Z

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just a little more info my stock tires were 26x9x14 and 26x11x14 the 27s wlere the same height

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just my opinion but a 27in tire is a lot for a 500. I just put 27in Rip Saws on my 850 and it really lost a lot of power.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are the ripsaw a heavy tired ? I thought I was going to lose power with my mega Mayham's on the 550 but didn't seem to lose any after putting on the QSC clutch kit it really woke my machine up too

·
Registered
52 Posts
I put a set of 27" Mega Mahems on my 2002 Sportsman 500 ,yes there was a little loss in power .nothing a clutch kit couldn't improve though ,but again I'm not hard on the throttle as some are ,but I like the way the bike performs and those tires have gotten me through some pretty tough spots ,I may not have gotten through with my stocks

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Are the ripsaw a heavy tired ? I thought I was going to lose power with my mega Mayham's on the 550 but didn't seem to lose any after putting on the QSC clutch kit it really woke my machine up too

Yes, ripsaws are indeed a heavy tire.

A properly tuned clutch will allow almost any machine to turn almost any tire.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
I went with the Ripsaws and have been very happy. They are heavy no doubt about it. My 850 turned them ok but I put in a QSC clutch kit which helps 100 percent. I rarely get in mud over the floor boards but when I did they powered through it. Smooth ride and hardly any wear noticed at around 400 miles. Pretty good at high speed on trail as well. Can't speak for Megas but I'm happy with my Ripsaws. I would clutch for either tire though.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If you learn more to speed and trail, go with the ripsaws

If you do more slow riding and mud, go with the maybems.

Both are very nice tires.

·
Registered
399 Posts
We ride a little of everything and I'm very happy with how the Mayhems perform.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts